Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
southofheaven
    Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:40 am

This issue is a bit difficult for me to describe with limited SMAW experience so I apologize ahead of time for not being able to supply a more detailed description. My problem is as follows... When I first strike the arc and initiate the puddle it seems almost frothy and difficult to manipulate or control. It also seems as though the rod is more prone to sticking under these conditions. The puddle eventually "clears" up and everything starts going a lot smoother, but I need to figure out what causes this issue and if there are there steps I can take to mitigate or eliminate it? As a side note I'm using 1/8 7018 rods on 3/8 inch plate varying the heat from 100- 130 amps depending on position and joint design with the same results regardless.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I think your amps are a little low if you are in the 100-120 range. I never run 7018s less than 120 amps, but that's just me. Lincoln has an article on starting 7018 welds that may help: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... etail.aspx
Multimatic 255
plantwelder
    Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Look up "AC welding" on YouTube, there's an excellent old GE film, and although we aren't talking about AC here, the film shows perfectly the drag angle and how it needs to change during the run. Basically you need less drag angle at the start, i.e. Your electrode needs to lay forward more until the arc stabilises, this has the effect of blowing the "froth" backwards away from the pool. Once the arc stabilises and heat builds up, the froth won't be a problem and the drag angle can be increased. Hope this helps.

Also as Louis says, you probably want to be closer to 125-130, though if it's a multi-run you can drop to 120 once the root is in and everything is warmed up.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How well does the slag chip off? Is it harder to get off of the starting portion of your weld?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

If you have a hot start function, use it. Add another 25 amps in that function.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

I use two hands to drink my milk, why not to start a weld. 7018 twitches around a lot supported only in the stinger. I hold it near the tip in my left hand to start. As I feel heat I let go. This helps in starting an arc, I can get close enough to arc without touching, and sticking. Stay perpendicular, tight, and pause until a good puddle forms.

Is it windy?
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Your amps is fine. I run 105 out of position with 1/8 and 120 flat. 1/8 7018 is rated 80-120a I believe and I have followed this and passed many bend and cert tests. Not knocking anybody just don't jump to conclusions. It takes more skill and experience to run "hot" out of position. When you first light up you just want to hold for a second and let it form and grow to size then start moving.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.