Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Hey guys I had the chance to run some 6010++++'s in school and they ran great. I only have a Lincoln tombstone so I use 6011's and the 6010++++ seemed to run way better. The arc seemed smoother and just all around better. So my question is, is it because I was running them on DCEP and not ac or are they just a much smoother running rod. I'm pretty new stick welder so excuse any of my info that doesn't make sense.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

DCEN,
It runs smoother because the current is only flowing in one direction and never has to pass the "Zero" point where the current changes polarity while using AC. That's the simple answer.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Ok thanks braehill I figured It had something to do with dc, but I figured I would ask.

Not intending to hijack the thread...it's still about 6010s. What is the characteristic of 6010 rods that cause some inverter machines to not like to run them?
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
VincenzioVonHook
    Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

ldbtx wrote:Not intending to hijack the thread...it's still about 6010s. What is the characteristic of 6010 rods that cause some inverter machines to not like to run them?
I'd like to know as well......i have a lot of trouble starting/re-starting with 6010 over 6011....I find 6011 runs a lot easier on my magmate 140....Im pretty sure 6011 has more ingredients to stabilize the arc as AC has to deal with a 0 point between positive and negative and has a higher chance of snuffing out......

VincenzioVonHook wrote:
ldbtx wrote:Not intending to hijack the thread...it's still about 6010s. What is the characteristic of 6010 rods that cause some inverter machines to not like to run them?
I'd like to know as well......i have a lot of trouble starting/re-starting with 6010 over 6011....I find 6011 runs a lot easier on my magmate 140....Im pretty sure 6011 has more ingredients to stabilize the arc as AC has to deal with a 0 point between positive and negative and has a higher chance of snuffing out......
That's true, 6011 has stabilizers to keep it lit during the zero crossing. But it doesn't explain why some inverter machines won't run 6010 well even on DC.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
VincenzioVonHook
    Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Im not sure what it is, but i know 6010 rods need a lot more OCV to arc, and as far as I have been told at most welding suppliers, it is the arc stabilizers (potassium) that help the 6011 light so much easier. 6011 Rods are supposed to be able to arc with 50V machines, where as most 6010 rods specify a minimum of 65v DC, and some even a minimum of 80V OC......
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

VincenzioVonHook wrote:Im not sure what it is, but i know 6010 rods need a lot more OCV to arc, and as far as I have been told at most welding suppliers, it is the arc stabilizers (potassium) that help the 6011 light so much easier. 6011 Rods are supposed to be able to arc with 50V machines, where as most 6010 rods specify a minimum of 65v DC, and some even a minimum of 80V OC......
The reading I have done also seems to point to this. Need lots of OCV for 6010 on DC+.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Ocv has very little to lighting up a 6010
the 'working voltage' of the machine,along with the falling characteristic of its output is what it relies on.
working voltage is the actual voltage across the arc when welding.6010 rods need a higher value to operate.ocv on the other hand is only present till you strike up initially,then is immediately zero.
the second requirement called falling characteristic, is in basic terms a graph which ties together amps,volts and arc length.transformer welders all have a falling characteristic by nature.inverters are generally constant current characteristic, larger inverters have more of a falling characteristic(but not all), and inverters big and small that are cellulose compatible by design always have a falling curve.
without both requirements, the machine will either refuse to light up the 6010,or else not facilitate whipping/long arcing by quenching when you whip
Dancing with the blue lady
C7Z
  • C7Z
    Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

wheresmejumper wrote:Ocv has very little to lighting up a 6010
the 'working voltage' of the machine,along with the falling characteristic of its output is what it relies on.
working voltage is the actual voltage across the arc when welding.6010 rods need a higher value to operate.ocv on the other hand is only present till you strike up initially,then is immediately zero.
the second requirement called falling characteristic, is in basic terms a graph which ties together amps,volts and arc length.transformer welders all have a falling characteristic by nature.inverters are generally constant current characteristic, larger inverters have more of a falling characteristic(but not all), and inverters big and small that are cellulose compatible by design always have a falling curve.
without both requirements, the machine will either refuse to light up the 6010,or else not facilitate whipping/long arcing by quenching when you whip
GREAT explination, thanks! I have an inverter(dynasty 200dx) that runs lincoln 6010 5p+ perfectly.
Dynasty 200DX
MM252
Powermax 45
VTS 450/460 Oxy-Acetylene