Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:27 pm

First off thank you for taking the time to read my post. The reason for my posting today is in hope that someone out in cyberland may be able to point me in the right direction. I've been scouring Al Gores famed invention for the past for weeks trying find a reliable 240v DC SMAW machine that is capable of at least %60 @ 150a duty cycle. Let me explain to you why I need such a machine, I Recently Graduated from a pipe welding/structural school and am in the process of starting my own Fabrication business. I've got enough initial start-up capital, site location and the LLC required; However, as of yet, I do not have a SMAW machine that is capable to fulfill the work I will be doing. The reason I need a 240v dc SMAW is because I will be welding both carbon steel pipe, Stainless steel pipe, as well as carbon plate, using both SMAW and GTAW processes. The GTAW portion is the reason I need at least a %60 @ 150a duty cycle. I'm not expecting a top tier Miller or Lincoln, But i would like to find a machine that will be able to perform day in day out for a long period of time, without worry of failure. Any suggestions or feedback is more than appreciated. Thank you

J.B.
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I heard pretty good things about Everlast's Powerarc 200 & 300 welders. You might want to check them out.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I've got a Power arc 200. About 5 years old. Its pretty good, no troubles. Needed a new stinger, and maybe some beefier cables but apart from that, all good.

Mick.

Ty both for the input. I'll check them out for sure.

J.B.
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I have had an import for over 8 years . Though I am very happy with it for home hobby use, I would not want to depend on it for my livelyhood. Understand that I have not had any bad experiences with mine and it's an older model.

I would suggest a used machine that can be serviced locally or at least handled by a LWS. Develop a relationship with the Local welding supply.

I used a Miller Maxstar 200 for a few years at my last employer. I would suggest something in that range as a starting point. Maybe used or demo.

Do some research as you are now, check out other forums, check out some machines that are available for demo. If you are going into business welding, your primary concern should be close to the equipment that makes the weld.

Have a great day

Gerald
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

If you are looking for a plug in welder (as opposed to an engine drive), then it seems to me you should consider a nice old transformer machine. You could get a round top Lincoln Idealarc for a couple hundred dollars. Serious bargains on these pop up all the time. If it runs when you buy it chances are it will run forever. Same for a Miller 330 A/BP or similar machine. You can find them for under $800 frequently. Will stick weld and TIG weld at 150 amps with a 100% duty cycle.
Multimatic 255
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

hdar wrote:First off thank you for taking the time to read my post. The reason for my posting today is in hope that someone out in cyberland may be able to point me in the right direction. I've been scouring Al Gores famed invention for the past for weeks trying find a reliable 240v DC SMAW machine that is capable of at least %60 @ 150a duty cycle. Let me explain to you why I need such a machine, I Recently Graduated from a pipe welding/structural school and am in the process of starting my own Fabrication business. I've got enough initial start-up capital, site location and the LLC required; However, as of yet, I do not have a SMAW machine that is capable to fulfill the work I will be doing. The reason I need a 240v dc SMAW is because I will be welding both carbon steel pipe, Stainless steel pipe, as well as carbon plate, using both SMAW and GTAW processes. The GTAW portion is the reason I need at least a %60 @ 150a duty cycle. I'm not expecting a top tier Miller or Lincoln, But i would like to find a machine that will be able to perform day in day out for a long period of time, without worry of failure. Any suggestions or feedback is more than appreciated. Thank you

J.B.
+1 on older machines if you are on a budget.

As mentioned, the Lincoln Idealarc and Miller 330abp are excellent and low cost.

Also, that miller 330abp is a standard tig machine too - so a foot control can be used. Plus they run 7018 sweet!!

A Miller Dialarc 250/250 is also an excellent machine and can be had for $200-$800 used.
They will run all day without problem and scratch start DC tig works well with them.

Used inverters are more of a gamble but Maxstar and Invertec are two good machines.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
grafted
    Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

I have a Everlast's Powerarc 200 st 120/220 volt. On 220 the duty cycle is 60% @ 160 Amps and 100% @130 amps.
I am well pleased with this welder but I do not use this welder for my livelihood.
Tommy

Thank you all for the input. I appreciate the info.

J.B.