Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Nickeng
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Wondered if many of you guys had successfully ran 6010 Cel on a Miller XMT 350 which as an OCV of 75v. I have always welded low hydrogen 7016 or 7018 for structural and 6013 for general stuff. Never really liked 6013s to be honest. I just fancied a wee play with cellies as I have never used them in my life.
I understand that in order to keep a 6010 lit it needs an OCV of about 80v. Any thoughts most welcome
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Open circuit voltage is just that. Open circuit. Once you strike arc the voltage changes to operating volts (closed circuit voltage ccv). It is this voltage you need to check for suitability to keep 6010 lit.
You shouldn't have any problems with your xmt350.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes they work good. The training center for our local has 15 or so of them set up in the test booths. That's what I've used to take all my cert tests. You can set the dig up around 7 or so for the 6010.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

On the topic of OCV, I have a dynasty 350 which has two settings for OCV, low @ 12v and normal @ 70v. I always leave it on the low setting and have no problem lighting up, I generally only run 6010's and 7018's. Has anyone run into a rod that won't light up on lower OCV? I guess my real question is why have this setting it seems useless to me? Thoughts?
Coldman

My take on it is that whether a power source can run 6010 is in the electronics and if it is capable of hi ocv is an indicator that it can run 6010. Doesn't mean it needs hi ocv just indicative of the quality of what's inside the box.
And as a jesture of goodwill, may the blue box be with you. :)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Frankly, 12v OCV sounds like a scratch-start TIG setting, which doesn't make much sense on the XMT 350.

I'd have to research that a bit...

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

They burn 6010 fine.
One of the best pipe welders in Canada says they burn 6010 on pipe as good as any machine.

Just go buy some 6010 and burn.
Welding is 75% or more between the shoulder and the holder anyway.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Coldman

And I thought it was between the holder and the smoulder.
Nickeng
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for all your input guys. Ordered a box of lincoln fleetweld.