Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Marion
    Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I have done a little welding with a Millermatic 110 and a little stick welding. All as a hobby. I purchased a used Miller XMT 304 cc/cv which is in good shape, but I really need a "user's manual". I don't know how to set it up for MIG or TIG use. Can anyone suggest a good How to...manual for me to purchase? I've down loaded the "owner's manual", but that really isn't a big help.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I put this in the other column, too

Go here.....http://www.millerwelds.com/service/owne ... .php?model

There is a drop down menu for your model and the download is free

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
av8r
    Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am

Marlon,
I have an XMT304 as well. The manual is not much help. There are lots of options for MIG with the XMT. The XMT is a CV machine that can connect to many types of wire feeders. I don't currently use MIG on my XMT. The LN25 has been recommended as the best MIG attachment for my application, automobile work. I currently use stick and TIG. For TIG there are two settings on the XMT, scratch start and lift arc. I use lift arc where the material is thicker than 1/16" inch and I can run higher current, like 50 amps or more. The lift arc prevents the tungsten from sticking and allows effortless arc starts. On thinner material that requires lower current the lift arc still results in the tungsten electrode sticking sometimes. At low amperage settings, like 30 amps, I use scratch start with a copper strike plate sits right next to the weld. One of my friends, a welding engineer, has urged me to try doing the scratch start on the filler rod (copper coated). That technique would be faster, but I have not perfected it yet. Enjoy your XMT304
Perpetual stick/TIG welding student (or master of molten metal massacre)
Miller XMT304