Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
TravisBeard
    Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:47 am

Does anyone make a 2 pin pedal WITHOUT an amp knob? If not is it worth it to use one with a knob or should I just use my torch switch?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

TravisBeard wrote:Does anyone make a 2 pin pedal WITHOUT an amp knob? If not is it worth it to use one with a knob or should I just use my torch switch?

Just keep the pedal knob full power, and control amps from the panel. One of my Tig welders needs the pedal knob to control max amps
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
ljdm1956

ljdm1956 wrote:
TravisBeard wrote:Does anyone make a 2 pin pedal WITHOUT an amp knob? If not is it worth it to use one with a knob or should I just use my torch switch?

Just keep the pedal knob full power, and control amps from the panel. One of my Tig welders needs the pedal knob to control max amps
Didn't mean to hit enter yet! If you control max amps from the panel, it won't hurt to have the knob as long as its set to full power.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
TravisBeard

ljdm1956 wrote:
ljdm1956 wrote:

Didn't mean to hit enter yet! If you control max amps from the panel, it won't hurt to have the knob as long as its set to full power.
Oh wow I didn't know you could do that, I thought the pedal control overrode the panel. Thanks

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

With or without an amp knob makes little difference - only important thing is the resistance range - if you hate the knob undo it & blank the hole either leaving the pot inside & insulated if room or disconnect - BUT the thing I'm wondering is how a pedal is going to connect with only 2pins ? almost all pedals use 5 wires - 3 for the pot & 2 for the switch - some may have plugs with more pins but only use 5 - some use a further 2 which are just shorted which tells the welder a pedal is plugged in - I'm probably way wrong but I kinda have the feeling your trying to find a pedal that will use the 2wire connection where a torch switch goes ? this is not possible - maybe you can clarify the original question for a better response.
ljdm1956

noddybrian wrote:With or without an amp knob makes little difference - only important thing is the resistance range - if you hate the knob undo it & blank the hole either leaving the pot inside & insulated if room or disconnect - BUT the thing I'm wondering is how a pedal is going to connect with only 2pins ? almost all pedals use 5 wires - 3 for the pot & 2 for the switch - some may have plugs with more pins but only use 5 - some use a further 2 which are just shorted which tells the welder a pedal is plugged in - I'm probably way wrong but I kinda have the feeling your trying to find a pedal that will use the 2wire connection where a torch switch goes ? this is not possible - maybe you can clarify the original question for a better response.
Some machines need the pedal knob to control max amps because the panel knob doesn't. But I agree, it seems like there should be more than two wires. But then again, I don't even know what machine this is for, so who knows. I had to make a mechanical control (an adjustable stop) on the pedal for one of my welders, because I didn't have a pedal knob and the panel knob didn't control max amps when using a pedal.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
TravisBeard

I'm not sure if it will work or not, all I have is two pins and I seen pedals on ebay that say 2 and 3 pin pedals and they have 2 ends- one with two pins and one with three. I've tig welded for two days so I know next to nothing.ImageImage

ljdm1956

not sure it will work. Some of the import welders have 2 sockets, and the pedal has 2 wires. Thats what the pedal you are looking at is probably for. How many pins are in the socket on the panel? Also, you need to match the resistance of the pedal to the machine, some require 10k, some 22k, etc. You def have to match the value. Do you have a schematic for the welder, or can you get one? Meantime, learn and practice with the torch switch.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
TravisBeard

ljdm1956 wrote:not sure it will work. Some of the import welders have 2 sockets, and the pedal has 2 wires. Thats what the pedal you are looking at is probably for. How many pins are in the socket on the panel? Also, you need to match the resistance of the pedal to the machine, some require 10k, some 22k, etc. You def have to match the value. Do you have a schematic for the welder, or can you get one? Meantime, learn and practice with the torch switch.
I can't find anything in regards to resistance on the outside of the machine or in the manual. There's a pic of the front just for kicks. Maybe I'll get a hold of the seller but in the meantime I'll use the switch. At this point I'm just thrilled to be melting metal. Thanks for your expertise because all I know is what I've learned on youtube.Image

noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Sorry - but without modifying your welder you cannot use a pedal - the one you pictured is as I described - uses 2pins for the switch control & 3pins for the current pot ( just separate plugs ) yours as standard has no external connection or ability to switch over from the panel knob to a pedal hence no plug / socket provided - you could with some tinkering make up a change over switch to disable the panel knob & fit a 3pin connector for the pedal pot - those are readily available & cheap on Ebay - they are more or less the industry standard for Chinese products including the plasma torches - I think if it were me while learning I'd stick with the torch switch - I use one 90% of the time - only use a pedal on aluminum generally & as yours is DC only this is not a problem - it will teach you how to judge amps accurately not having a pedal & I think it best to learn that way - people who start with a pedal mostly struggle to weld without one & don't have a good grasp of settings if they have to weld without - if you get into Tig & want more features such as AC for aluminum welding or pulse etc then probably best to move up to a better machine for that - maybe keep that little one you have now if it's still going for an easy to carry around stick unit or Tig at a push - I showed someone how to weld with an identical unit & while not exactly a Dynasty for the money it did quite well - arc started reliably - was pretty stable & he is using it on odd job automotive welding - I would'nt push it too hard as components & general build quality is kinda sketchy - but certainly works for hobby stuff .
TravisBeard

noddybrian wrote:Sorry - but without modifying your welder you cannot use a pedal - the one you pictured is as I described - uses 2pins for the switch control & 3pins for the current pot ( just separate plugs ) yours as standard has no external connection or ability to switch over from the panel knob to a pedal hence no plug / socket provided - you could with some tinkering make up a change over switch to disable the panel knob & fit a 3pin connector for the pedal pot - those are readily available & cheap on Ebay - they are more or less the industry standard for Chinese products including the plasma torches - I think if it were me while learning I'd stick with the torch switch - I use one 90% of the time - only use a pedal on aluminum generally & as yours is DC only this is not a problem - it will teach you how to judge amps accurately not having a pedal & I think it best to learn that way - people who start with a pedal mostly struggle to weld without one & don't have a good grasp of settings if they have to weld without - if you get into Tig & want more features such as AC for aluminum welding or pulse etc then probably best to move up to a better machine for that - maybe keep that little one you have now if it's still going for an easy to carry around stick unit or Tig at a push - I showed someone how to weld with an identical unit & while not exactly a Dynasty for the money it did quite well - arc started reliably - was pretty stable & he is using it on odd job automotive welding - I would'nt push it too hard as components & general build quality is kinda sketchy - but certainly works for hobby stuff .
Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to enlighten me. I hope someday I will be good enough to pay it forward within the welding community.

ljdm1956

noddybrian wrote:Sorry - but without modifying your welder you cannot use a pedal - the one you pictured is as I described - uses 2pins for the switch control & 3pins for the current pot ( just separate plugs ) yours as standard has no external connection or ability to switch over from the panel knob to a pedal hence no plug / socket provided - you could with some tinkering make up a change over switch to disable the panel knob & fit a 3pin connector for the pedal pot - those are readily available & cheap on Ebay - they are more or less the industry standard for Chinese products including the plasma torches - I think if it were me while learning I'd stick with the torch switch - I use one 90% of the time - only use a pedal on aluminum generally & as yours is DC only this is not a problem - it will teach you how to judge amps accurately not having a pedal & I think it best to learn that way - people who start with a pedal mostly struggle to weld without one & don't have a good grasp of settings if they have to weld without - if you get into Tig & want more features such as AC for aluminum welding or pulse etc then probably best to move up to a better machine for that - maybe keep that little one you have now if it's still going for an easy to carry around stick unit or Tig at a push - I showed someone how to weld with an identical unit & while not exactly a Dynasty for the money it did quite well - arc started reliably - was pretty stable & he is using it on odd job automotive welding - I would'nt push it too hard as components & general build quality is kinda sketchy - but certainly works for hobby stuff .
I agree with noddybrian, learn to weld with the switch(you have no choice right now anyway). Aluminum heats up faster and would require the pedal as far as backing off the heat, but for steel, you will learn the amps required, and can compensate by travel speed instead of pedal. If you learn to like Tig, then maybe a better machine might be in your future? I use my torch switch more than my pedal, but that's how I learned (right or wrong) to Tig.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff