Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Hey guys, made this guard for a friend, and wrapping the 3 inch high side around the face was harder than i thought. i figured itd be the perfect application for fusion tacking, pull with one hand and tack with the other, but i coudnt make it work. maybe 1 out of 3 tacks were succesful i usually wound up blowing a hole through. its 0.06 mild steel, is that simply to thin to fusion tack? What amps would you start with for tacking? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG (49.67 KiB) Viewed 710 times
IMG_0881.JPG
IMG_0881.JPG (52.29 KiB) Viewed 710 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

When you tack an outside corner like that, position your torch on the flat, higher edge, then hit the arc, and "flick" over. That helps. Probably 50 amps would be hot enough to get a quick, one-handed tack. If it holds, just add a small tack adjacent with a dab of filler to strengthen it (don't tack over the fusion tack) while you move down the line.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

i tacked along the inside, just cuz you wont see them after, and i wont have to weld over my tacks. oh ok i was around 150 amp even tried at 200 amps lol
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

160 amps for 0.060 material is wicked high. Lower your amps.
    Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:31 pm

cj737 wrote:160 amps for 0.060 material is wicked high. Lower your amps.
Agreed. I'm at 80 amps on 16g stainless which generally requires less amperage than carbon steel, but I would still be somewhere around there for it. Also if you find yourself in a position that you can't tack the back side you can always grind/cut the tacks before welding to make it a more smooth transition while welding over them