Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Ant428
    Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am

So I am practicing some out of position TIG, and I welded this bracket for practice. It is all 1/4" steel. I did one pass at 175 amps with 3/32 filler. The weld looked nice but needed another pass. Instead, I decided to bend it. When I did, it broke and looked like the picture below. I don't understand what happened?! Its like a white chalky break. It took a lot of force and started to bend first, but then it broke apart. Maybe I didn't clean the mill scale on the back side of the bracket? So I bent the bracket or angle iron back and it broke.

20180311_195841.jpg
20180311_195841.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Attachments
20180311_195057.jpg
20180311_195057.jpg (42.65 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

That's what broken weld steel usually looks like. Like a broken casting. Clean your metal just a smidge better. The flap disk marks don't look so pronounced in the picture, so I could be wrong.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Is that galvanized?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

really need to see the other side of that top piece.
to me the question is did the weld metal break or the base metal ?
if it tore out the base metal its ok.
tweak it until it breaks
Ant428

tweake wrote:really need to see the other side of that top piece.
to me the question is did the weld metal break or the base metal ?
if it tore out the base metal its ok.
The weld metal split in half.
Ant428

Poland308 wrote:Is that galvanized?
No regular steel
tweake

if the weld is smaller than the base meal then it will be the weaker and break in half. with a 2nd pass it would have been a different story.
but judging only by what i can see in the pic, it kinda looks like what you get when you long arc it, fusion on the sides but not in the corner of the joint. really need to break the halves right off and get a better look.
i've had similar with mig which broke looking a bit like that.
tweak it until it breaks
Ant428

tweake wrote:if the weld is smaller than the base meal then it will be the weaker and break in half. with a 2nd pass it would have been a different story.
but judging only by what i can see in the pic, it kinda looks like what you get when you long arc it, fusion on the sides but not in the corner of the joint. really need to break the halves right off and get a better look.
But shouldn't it just bend? If I took a piece of metal and bent it, it won't break. I will do another tonight and clean everything to a shine first. I'll make sure to hold a tight arc too.
It did not break from one side or the other, it broke in the middle of the weld. So when I ripped it off, there was weld on both pieces.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

https://library.ctr.utexas.edu/digitize ... 1501-1.pdf

Kinda dry reading but about pg 35 there is some info about the failures during bend tests. It’s a pretty in-depth paper about bend tests of structural fillet welds.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Ant428 wrote:But shouldn't it just bend? If I took a piece of metal and bent it, it won't break..
No. Steel that you purchase that comes formed was formed in a different way than the weld metal that you added. Ever look up a youtube video on how steel is made? *hint hint* ;)
Ant428

Oscar wrote:
Ant428 wrote:But shouldn't it just bend? If I took a piece of metal and bent it, it won't break..
No. Steel that you purchase that comes formed was formed in a different way than the weld metal that you added. Ever look up a youtube video on how steel is made? *hint hint* ;)
Will do. I just didn't like that grainy look when it broke .
I am going to do a few more destructive tests
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Ant428 wrote:
Oscar wrote:
I just didn't like that grainy look when it broke .
Did you quench in water to cool it off?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
tweake

Ant428 wrote:
tweake wrote:if the weld is smaller than the base meal then it will be the weaker and break in half. with a 2nd pass it would have been a different story.
But shouldn't it just bend? If I took a piece of metal and bent it, it won't break. I will do another tonight and clean everything to a shine first. I'll make sure to hold a tight arc too.
It did not break from one side or the other, it broke in the middle of the weld. So when I ripped it off, there was weld on both pieces.
keep in mind, as you said it needed a 2nd pass, its a small weld. the metal is thicker so the weld going to break before the steel bends.
tweak it until it breaks
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

A single sided fillet will always break through the weld. Unless it's a full penetration (the bracket prepped until the weld goes through the full thickness) Think about taking a piece of metal and grinding a line across it. Then bend it so that cut opens. Its a area of smaller surface so that's where it will break. If you took that same weld (that you showed) and made it a little bigger and welded both sides, It will not break anywhere near as easily.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

On a side note, Welding a single sided fillet is the way we do it at trade school. It enables you to do a weld and then break it under an hydraulic press to examine the root with out any deformation of the plates. This means you can re-position your plates to keep welding more joins using the same material without too much fuss.
R32Guy
    Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:17 pm

The filler rod and material being welded can create a more brittle weld joint than the base material itself.