Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

So I've been asked to fix a 1/8" thick stainless oven door that has had at least three other people welding on it at one point or another. I think the base metal is 304 based on magnetic response. The original welds are tig and look like 309 or 312 filler but weren't brushed or passivated. The next set of welds are mig and I'm assuming 308l are more or less competent looking other than poor of shielding in some places. The last set which are mostly cracking looks like a monkey with either flux core mig or stick had a go at it. All of these welds are stitched welds, some clearly on top of the last welds leaving a fair amount of virgin base metal at the seam.

I plan on grinding out all the old welds, clamping on some chill blocks and then back stitching the entire seam with 312. I'd like to restore as much of the corrosion resistance as is possible since it is in a kitchen environment but with mild filler in the mix I assume that is never really going to happen. Anyone have recommendations that would have a better outcome?

Thanks,
-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Stainless is difficult because it work hardens. It kind of won't mater how you weld it because the base metal is the issue. Maybe grind /weld and then plate out to some fresh, not junked out metal
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depending on how hot the oven gets and how often it thermal cycles the base metal could have micro stress cracks making it beyond salvaging. Tig brazing with a high silver content rod like 45% or higher might be an option as well. Because it will fill cracks you can’t see with the naked eye.
I have more questions than answers

Josh