Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nickpeaceclock
    Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 pm

I’ve been welding for about 7 years, self employed for 8 months, and im having trouble fingering this out.

When tig welding thick aluminum (200+ amps) my tungsten quivers like crazy. It balls up like normal then droops down and jumps around. Usually happens when I’m welding for a long period of time or anytime I’m over 200amps.

My typical set up is with a 1/8 pure tunsten, 120 freq, 50/50 balance with straight argon. I’m not sticking the electrode out past the end of the cup more then 1/8.

Is there a better tungsten choice for 200+ amp AC welding? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate, yes there are many better choices for tungsten these days. In Australia, I don't believe you can even buy pure tungsten. I don't know what the colours are for brands where you are, but there's lanthanated and rare earth in varying compositions. This should provide you electrode stability

Nick welcome to the forum
It seems you have an inverter, pure tungsten is not recommended for the reasons you have seen yourself. Try using 2% lanthanated, and bump up the balance to 60-70% DCEN.

Let us know what machine you have.
Richard
Website
Nickpeaceclock
    Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:34 pm

What kind of lanthenated tungsten? 1.5% 2%? I’m using an everlast powertig 315lx. Thanks for the feedback!
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

either will work but 2% is more common and available
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

LtBadd wrote:Nick welcome to the forum
It seems you have an inverter, pure tungsten is not recommended for the reasons you have seen yourself. Try using 2% lanthanated, and bump up the balance to 60-70% DCEN.

Let us know what machine you have.
What he said. :) Adjusting your Electrode negative to 60 to 70. I'm usually at 70 to 75 unless the aluminum is in bad shape
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Nickpeaceclock wrote:I’ve been welding for about 7 years, self employed for 8 months, and im having trouble fingering this out.

When tig welding thick aluminum (200+ amps) my tungsten quivers like crazy. It balls up like normal then droops down and jumps around. Usually happens when I’m welding for a long period of time or anytime I’m over 200amps.

My typical set up is with a 1/8 pure tunsten, 120 freq, 50/50 balance with straight argon. I’m not sticking the electrode out past the end of the cup more then 1/8.

Is there a better tungsten choice for 200+ amp AC welding? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
If you check an amperage chart for tungsten you'll find 1/8" pure only handles about 180-190 amps AC.

Whenever you get past the upper edge of current handling ability for any type, your tungsten will quiver like that.
If you go too far, the quiver turns into spraying tungsten like a consumable.

I've done that accidentally :( :o

I still use pure on my transformer based machine. But the other posters recommended you switch to 2% lanthanated on your inverter - I agree with them.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
JohnT
    Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi, Im new here and a new hobby welder trying to teach myself to tig aluminum. So take my advise with a grain of salt. But...
I have a Powerpro 164 by everlast and reading the manual for my machine, it specifically states do not use pure tungsten.
Also, on mine the balance knob adjusts electrode positive. Which means if you set it at 70%, that is too high. 30-35% is more appropriate. Thats the reverse of many machines. Again, thats for MY machine but wouldn't be surprised if other everlasts are the same. Did you get a manual with your machine?