Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MeatHead
    Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am

Happy Holidays WeldingTipsandTricks community!

As the new year approaches, and my body reminds me I'm not getting younger, I wanted to open discussion about clamping system ideas for thin (~16 gauge / ~2mm) tacked-together-tube consisting of irregular curves / angles (like exhaust headers, etc). When I weld custom stainless steel exhaust systems (including headers, etc), I lose a lot of time and energy trying to re-position clamps (& magnets) for the tubing (Because it's not straight tube).

Has anyone tried using 2 flexible arm clamps that are strong enough to hold the weight of a welding hand resting on the tube, but not so strong that it prevents one to move and quickly turn the tube to continue the weld bead?

In my mind I was picturing those stainless steel flexible extenders used to hold microphones in any positions on mic stands. Sharing your ideas here would be very helpful and FUN! :mrgreen:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I do a lot of irregular fits on light-gauge SS pipe & tube.

Here's a tool designed for the job that may give you some ideas:

http://www.pipe-ltd.com/Products/PipeWo ... Range.aspx

I usually just improvise. I've got 11R Vise-Grip clamps w/ swivel feet I've welded 1" SS angle to. I've ground the centers of the legs back, so each angle functions like four fingers.

When space is tight, I use SS hose clamps, with bits of aluminum cut from cans as bridging.

I'm trying to visualize what you've described. There are times a simple gravity clamp would serve me well.

Steve S
West Baden Iron
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 am

This isn't flexible but it does the same type of thing. You can buy these, but being a fabricator it seems easier just to make and you can make it fit what you need.

Hopefully it is ok to post a link to another welding forum.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=48154

This isn't my thread on weldingweb but I'm in the process of making some of these. I'm modifying the bolt to tighten the joints with a t-handle to make adjustments quick and dirty. I'll post pictures when I get a little further along. I have about 10 projects I'm trying to complete that all make no money so it's hard to find time to complete them.

Thanks,

Jason
Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig/Stick Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

West Baden/ Jason

I like those clamps, i might have to make some myself. Your plan to use a T-handle bolt is a good improvement. I can just picture the whole thing falling apart while you reach for a just out of reach wrench to tighten everything down. A cap head bolt could work here, too. There is enough of a knurl on the cap to give enough grip to finger tighten it for any minor adjustments.

I might try to make at least one of the rods be a telescopic one for a length adjustment,too.........

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Landyman
    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

What diameter pipe are you talking about?
Could you not use a big pair of 'mole' grips, or 'vice' grips, i don't know what they call them where you are, and clamp a spring loaded earth clamp to the handle?

Just make sure you get the ones with a curved jaw and not the straight ones.

This is what i mean

http://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/image ... =yfp-t-107