Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

hey guys now I know why they call us noobs,just got my first lesson on welders burn...and found out that tigging burns more than mig or stick....tigging in a t shirt is not a good thing the burns at the end of t shirt atess to that....oooouuuch.....told you I was a mistake learner :lol: :lol: crank.it
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Sunblock.

I weld in short sleeves at work all the time. I use SPF45 or stronger, twice a day, on all exposed skin, including my neck. I can TIG SS or Al all day without that "sunburn".

Every once in a while, I'll forget, since I don't weld every day. I always get a nice reminder for next time... :lol:

Steve
mstanley
    Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 pm

One of the more common problems new people actually earn is when they forget that what they are dealing with is something really hot that could work against or even to the point of hurting them. It would be nice to be able to wear sleeves to work and be able to protect your body with it. And I suppose that the proper work clothes will be good enough for you.
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

lol its not just a newbie thing, I have been welding for 8 years now, mainly do aluminum and I get it a lot lol. Actually got it pretty good today. Was welding some half inch stuff today, didn't want to put sleeves on cause there is no ac in our shop and when I was standing by the time clock everyone was giving me crap cause I got it bad. What really sucks is when you don't notice it then go hop in the shower lol you notice it after that.
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

i understand about the heat part. i weld inside a foundry!
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

I was practicing today...so I cut the sleeves off an old shirt for sleeves....then lit my ove glove on fire ...wasnt feeding enough rod and moved to close...daaaa :D :D
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Many times I've wiped something down with lacquer thinner and paper towels and then set them aside a ways away and started welding, forgetting the old adage that "sparks fly". The next thing I know, I've got a nice bonfire going on the table :oops:

I've also set a lot of my shirts on fire by using the angle grinder and not paying attention to where the sparks were going. Good thing I have a high pain tolerance!

Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Landyman
    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I always wear a leather apron, leather sleeves and leather gauntlets.
Getting burnt isn't much fun, be it from the arc or the sparks...
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I have a set of sleeves with an elastic that will go up under my t-shirt sleeves. They look like they were taken from a tig jacket. I rarely wear them unless I am going to be welding non stop for the day. I buy t-shirts that have a high enough neck for starters and are made of thicker fabric. A lot of it also has to do with your position. My hands end up blocking most of it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Landyman
    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

TamJeff, you make a good point there.
The t-shirts we are issued with are of a thin material, and i have in the past got into the shower after work and found my chest is lightly sunburnt!
I don't bother with the ones issued, but wear my own i got from my last place of work most of the time.
Even they are getting discoloured where my leather apron doesn't cover them.
Now, i put on my leather apron and sleeves before i take my helmet out of my locker!