Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dnschmidt
    Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am

Like many I have the Alphatig 200X and like many I've replaced the shitty footpedal with a good one. However, I would like to repurpose the OEM pedal. Jody often talks about "power tacking" where he uses a switch to blast a tack onto the metal. Is there a way of converting the OEM pedal into an on/off switch so that it could be used for this purpose. I want the welder to go immediately to whatever amperage I set with the slightest movement of the foot pedal. In short a blast-o-matic footpedal is what I'm looking for. It's either full bore or off just like a torch switch. Can this be done and if so how? Thanks.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

It can definitely be done. Just wire in a momentary on/off switch that matches what a regular torch switch rating would be to your machine. You can probably find one on Mouser ot DigiKey for under $10. Though why not just use a torch switch? Seems like that'e be easier than having another foot pedal to move around.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Wouldn't you just set your machine to "START, PEAK, and END AMPS" to your maximum desired heat and go forward with the old pedal?

You could also use the 2T/4T features as described in your manual on Page 9:
10. When 2T/4T switch is in the 2T position only the main amps will operate along with the post flow. In
4T position arc start amps and end amps will work. Do not use 4T function with the foot pedal.
11. When in 4T mode you press and release the switch an arc will start and continue to run until you press
and release the switch again.