Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

20180615_114851.jpg
20180615_114851.jpg (30.38 KiB) Viewed 676 times
This is a hot runner manifold for injection molding. 5 inch long, 1 inch square.
It's of A-2 steel tempered at 1000 F
The central gallery hole is plugged 1/8-27 with stainless plugs.
Plugs were welded over with 309 rod. In quick and out.
The piece was hardened After the welding.
After 2 days running higher pressure than I like due to not enough watts in the heaters it leaked, I pulled it out and saw this...wow.

Has anyone seen failure like this?
Can you say for sure that the weld caused this?

Thanks!
Attachments
20180615_114827.jpg
20180615_114827.jpg (27.77 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Last edited by nelson on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

No but A-2 will crack with heating and cooling

Dave
nelson wrote:
20180615_114851.jpg
This is a hot runner manifold for injection molding. 5 inch long, 1 inch square.
It's of A-2 steel tempered at 1000 F
The central gallery hole is plugged 1/8-27 with stainless plugs.
Plugs were welded over with 309 rod. In quick and out.
The piece was hardened After the welding.
After 2 days running higher pressure than I like due to not enough watts in the heaters it leaked, I pulled it out and saw this...wow.

Has anyone seen failure like this?
Can you say for sure that the weld caused this?

Thanks!
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Never seen a crack like that before, but I have seen A-2 fail on presses due to heat treating errors. It's always just chipped on me.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

309 filler is more, I'm sure, ductile and springy than A-2 drawn to 1000F...just before the bottom drops out and it kinda annealed.
The central gallery hole is .394 or whatever a 1/8-27 pipe tap calls for. There are several holes right down the center weakening it along that line.

I'm trying S-7 now. I don't think the hammering from the pressure is what S-7 is made for, but hardness is critical because of the way this block goes in the mold. It is pressed in with 5/16 setsets crews jamming it against the backside of the A side of the mold.

I DO hug trees and dogs, but this, if it works, keeps 1700 lb./year out of the dumpster, increasing our profits as an added benefit.

Gotta go.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Give it a pretty decent pre-heat before welding, somewhere around 800*F. May be a good idea to raise it up to hardening temperature after too and letting it cool slowly. It will likely fail again if it doesn't go through the heat treating process again, but S7 is air quenching so that is relatively easy.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)