Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
West Baden Iron
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 am

Hey,

I'm looking to upgrade my 9 series torch on my Lincoln Square Wave 175. I did some 3g practice welding and about burnt my hand off. I realize this machine isn't a production style welder, but I would like to upgrade to a better torch (especially 25' from the 12' now) and then possibly use this torch if I upgrade to a bigger machine in the future.

There are some many options, I thought I would ask some more experienced guys on here. I'm not ruling out water cooled if that is the consensus route to go. I would build my own water cooler setup if I go that route. I would like to stay with the small torch because of the cluster tubing welds I make on occasion, but I'm not ruling out a 17 style air cooled either. Maybe a bigger torch is best most of the time and then just use my small torch on the tight spots?

I'm just a backyard guy at the moment, but I'm getting more serious about it all the time.

Thanks,

Jason
Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig/Stick Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

I would go with a water cooled 9 torch. Everyshop I have worked has used them and I have both my welders a home set up with water cooled 9's. I really like flex head torches. I have never used that flex lock one like Jody uses, only used the one with the flexible neck but I love them. I just did a roll cage for my buddy and it was nice to have that flex head, just made it so I could prop someplace more comfortably than if I had a standard torch. It also helped me keep a much better angle, so the welds turned out like I like then to. Done a roll with standard torch before turned out OK but there was some spots were I wish I had a flex head, that's why I bought the two flex heads for my welders at home.
West Baden Iron

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a brand you would recommend? Should I go with the Lincoln specific torch or any flex head? I will be buying online because I live far enough away from a decent shop it's just not feasible to go test any out.

Thanks again,

Jason
ajlskater1

As far as brand goes I have used a few brands all have been farely comparable. The ones I have at. Home are tigtech I head tig torches. I am not sure about the Lincoln part of things I have never owned or used a Lincoln before always used Miller myself. I believe most of the companies make torches for almost all the brands of welders. Just need to figure out what plugins you have and make the torch you buy has connection. One thing to note about flex.heads is they are expensive, but very handy. So its kinda something to consider. But if you are doing tight clusters I would definitely recommend a water cooled 9, makes life a lot easier trying to get into tight places.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I agree with the -9 torch, and water-cooled is a real asset on a small torch for almost zero penalty in weight or flexibility. A note with water-cooled, I do some HFAC, so I only use de-ionized water, and when I need antifreeze I get it from the welding supply, as they make special low-conductivity antifreeze. The corrosion inhibiters in auto antifreeze and the minerals in tap water can give you current-leakage problems, and have actually ruined two torches for me in PA.

The larger torches have thier place. I used a -17 a lot in the field, where air-cooled was the only practical option, and the capacity for large cups made walking the cup the fastest way to do larger pipe.

You shouldn't have to specify your machine, unless you have an oddball; You can put a Lincoln torch on a Miller machine, and vice-versa, as the fittings are threaded the same. (Oh, and you can't mix them up, either. Two sizes of right-hand threads, and one left-hand.)

ProFax makes a relatively inexpensive torch with good quality. The Lincoln-branded torch is a bit more flexible, but costlier.

One criticism for water-cooled flex-head torches; The copper tubing in the heads eventually work-hardens and breaks, as water-cooled torches never approach a temperature that would anneal them.

Steve S
West Baden Iron

Thanks for all the info guys. This is exactly why I joined this forum. Excellent information and well put.

I'll be on the lookout for -9 flex head water cooled torch. I'll be on the lookout for the components to build a cooler too.

Thanks again,

Jason
ajlskater1

The
Last edited by ajlskater1 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajlskater1

I really like the weld craft coolers. At the one we had four dynasty 350's and one 700 I ran. I burnt up two 700 Buck I head torches because the Miller chiller kept forming white sludge inside them and not working. Switched back to weld craft ones and torches stayed cool. The shop I work at now. Has the gas and water plumbed in to big tank's outside and even after running 350 amps on a four foot weld those torches are ice cold. I wish I had that at my home shop but weld craft are the best acutuall coolers I have used.
Odyknuck
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Just an FYI the water cooled version of the -9 is a -20 series. Same size torch with water jacket.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Quite right! Thanks for the reminder. I was thinking too linear, about the -9 he has now, and the benefits of water-cooled. Didn't click that I use a WP-20 at work.

Steve S.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

WP-20 here as well for years now. The torch I have now has to be about 7 years old and I weld a lot at 250 amps AC.

Besides torches, in spite of all of the buzz around the flex hoses, they have not made any real difference to me and the one complaint I have with the soft hoses, is some clubfoot with tunnel vision is always walking by, stepping on my lines and cutting my gas off in the middle of a seemingly touchy weld.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.