Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Stephenw35
    Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi I only have my tig welder for about a week now. Ive been practicing on mild steel, while welding a tee joint it was all going okay then it started to go a bit funny and it ended up looking a bit like a mig weld with no gas. The steel is 5mm thick, im using a 2.4mm 2% lanthanated tungsten and a 2.4mm er70s2 filler rod. it only happens some of the time and I have cleaned the metal and rods with acetone, does anyone have any tips?
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

What do you have your argon flow set at?
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Make sure you grind away the mill scale before welding. Remember clean shinny metal.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Breezes from a fan or outdoors can blow your gas away one second and then seam fine the next.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Do you have girl friend/wife/significant other?? Do you know how close you 2 get?? Get CLOSER to the weld ! (Haven't seen my wife in 2 months.) I am new to TIG also and learning that closeness and cleanliness counts --- a lot. The guys in here are a BIG help. Also, get right into the pedal and then back out after the puddle is evident ... kind of like chasing a liquid dot.

BillE.Dee wrote:Do you have girl friend/wife/significant other?? Do you know how close you 2 get?? Get CLOSER to the weld !.
Terrible analogy!!! Everyone knows you should never dip your tungsten....

Ok ok I’m leaving now
Stephenw35

argon is about 8 LPM I think I might have figured out what I done wrong, I used the same disc to sharpen my tungsten and clean the metal so maybe that contaminated the metal?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Stephenw35 wrote:argon is about 8 LPM I think I might have figured out what I done wrong, I used the same disc to sharpen my tungsten and clean the metal so maybe that contaminated the metal?
Not likely. How about a few pictures of what you’re encountering?
Stephenw35

this is the problem
Attachments
weld1.jpg
weld1.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

JayWal wrote:
BillE.Dee wrote:Do you have girl friend/wife/significant other?? Do you know how close you 2 get?? Get CLOSER to the weld !.
Terrible analogy!!! Everyone knows you should never dip your tungsten....

Ok ok I’m leaving now
:lol:
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
cj737

Stephenw35 wrote:this is the problem
2 likely causes: material is not clean (pulling contaminants from joint/backside) and/or gas coverage is insufficient. You might be moving the torch too far away at certain points, causing the gas flow to suffer it’s shielding.
Stephenw35

okay thanks for your help
cj737

You need to grind to bare, clean metal the steel you are TIG welding. Your photo doesn’t show that. If you just wiped the material down, that’s not good enough to insure contamination free welds. Heat looks good, but look at the edges of your welds, there’s not a really cleaned area outside of it.

If you’re using a flap wheel to take off mill scale, especially if it’s a finer grit or a really used wheel, sometimes it’ll just shine up the mill scale without actually taking it off. It can take some substantial pressure sometimes to get through the scale, especially on sheet steel ive found. You need bare shiny steel. If looks aren’t important I’ll use a grinding wheel or Zip disk to get into a corner to clean it before welding. They get through scale much easier than flap wheels.
Stephenw35

I had where I was welding clean, didn't bother cleaning the whole piece as its only a practice bit, I hit it with a sanding disc first and then a flap wheel
cj737

Don’t forget the edges when you’re welding a joint. And the immediate backside.
Stephenw35

I never thought about clean the back side, thanks for your help