Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I've been working with 3/16 aluminum and building shooting benches. I have in mind to make a bench with retractable wheels on the front legs. There is a clearance issue that I was wondering about. Where the axle for the wheels slides in the slot I made for the axle in the leg ... IF I just run a bead without filler rod ... will the area where I ran the bead be stronger than the rest of the leg. It's not like the sliding axle will be moving constantly, only when a person wants to relocate the bench and then raise/retract the wheel so the bench sits completely on the ground.

I'm not a metallurgist, but I'd say no.

What's wrong with Pennsylvania?
Richard
Website
BillE.Dee

thanks LT. I'm just getting old and cranky over the total waste of the "funds" that are taken from the working class. If there isn't a tax already on an item, they will come up with a new one, but, they don't call it a tax. They've come up with new terminology to make it look like the gov isn't raising taxes. :roll:
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Whoo trade war! :roll:

As long as it's not a high-use weight bearing item, you should be able to get away with it. I have some old motorcycle parts that were only autogenous welded 6061 and they've bent full 180* without ever breaking and survived multiple crashes.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
BillE.Dee

oh crap, I don't want no wars. I'm just trying to get ideas that might help from loosing a clearance issue and having wobbly wheels. Demented, you're NOT supposed to crash, let alone on 2 wheels. I've been there , done that, BADLY. So, If I get this slotted area just with a bead, I should be ok. There is no heavy service, and definitely nothing going to put a lot pressure on the slotted area. The whole bench is only like 30 pounds and only moves when I make hay. Do appreciate the info from all. Stay safe and upright. Watch out for left turns.
My wife is down that way now. I think she is in Paisley or Deland. If you are at auction she is the one with her hand reaching for the sky bidding.
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

I know I'm not supposed to, I just never mastered the art of not crashing.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Demanted,
not sure what kind of motorcycle riding/racing you do but if you ride a dirt bike
and your not crashing your not trying......
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil