Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
James903
    Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 am

I have a set of headlights that I finally found the lense to make it a complete set. I took them apart and it turns out that one of the bezels has been repaired with a couple of booger welds for the mounting screw. The headlight are from the 30’s and I have a feeling that the bezels are some type of stainless. Basically I was wondering what type of rod should I use to try and make the repair. I’ve thought about trying to clean up the previous weld and see if I could get it to fuse up. I have all the typical tig rod for mild steel, aluminum, and even some silicon bronze but nothing for stainless.im not totally sure if it’s even stainless. Any info would help thanks.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If it is stainless, 308 rod works fine. Or, in a pinch, you can use ER70. It just may not last as long and will corrode where the 308 will not.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would recommend 312 or 310 or 309 if it’s unknown SS.
http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~/me ... ection.pdf
These cover the widest varieties of SS.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

James903 wrote:im not totally sure if it’s even stainless.
Quite possible.. For this purpose manufacturers have also used some alloys like Zamak/Mazak and then chromed as it was a lot cheaper. 'Mystery metal' 8-)

Stainless would be pretty hard/tough compared to the likes of zamak/zamac which is mostly zinc with some alloys so trying to scratch with with a pick or similar on a hidden spot should give some idea on the hardness or lack thereof.

Testing with a strong magnet gives more info. Most stainless types are (very) weakly magnetic compared to zinc (or other non-ferrous) alloys. Putting a drop of acid on it on a hidden spot should also give some idea what you are looking at. Stainless pretty much does nothing (unless going silly on acids) while many other alloys will start reacting/foaming.

Bye, Arno.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Arno wrote:
James903 wrote:im not totally sure if it’s even stainless.
Quite possible.. For this purpose manufacturers have also used some alloys like Zamak/Mazak and then chromed as it was a lot cheaper. 'Mystery metal' 8-)

Stainless would be pretty hard/tough compared to the likes of zamak/zamac which is mostly zinc with some alloys so trying to scratch with with a pick or similar on a hidden spot should give some idea on the hardness or lack thereof.

Testing with a strong magnet gives more info. Most stainless types are (very) weakly magnetic compared to zinc (or other non-ferrous) alloys. Putting a drop of acid on it on a hidden spot should also give some idea what you are looking at. Stainless pretty much does nothing (unless going silly on acids) while many other alloys will start reacting/foaming.

Bye, Arno.
Stainless was pretty common for brightwork here in the States up the early 50s. 312 is a pretty good idea too, though 308 in a pinch should work fine.