Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

welding 3/16 Al, 3/32 blue tungsten, 3/32 5356 filler. 20cfh argon, 150 amps, 100 Hz, 30% balance on everlast 205si machine.
I can get the filler to flow into the corner joint. Does this mean that I am getting proper penetration? Also during butt joints it doesn't seem that I get total penetration even with a slight gap in the joint. What do I watch for to get the puddle to drop thro? If I try to get lots of penetration, I end up with blow through, aka clingon mess.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Cutting out a cross section is really the cheapest way to tell if your getting proper penetration.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

150 amps is a bit low for 3/16, push up to 180 and try again. If you can decrease your frequency, say to 60 Hz, you’ll also improve your penetration.

Simply getting the filler to flow into the seam isn’t equal to penetration. The filler will melt much faster than the base metal. You get “goo” when you weld ally and don’t have sufficient amps or linger forever on a spot. I’d wager you’re too low with the heat. It’s better to-

Use lots more heat to establish a puddle quickly, begin adding filler and traveling then taper off the heat with the pedal than it is to camp out and wait for a puddle. The oxide layer needs nearly 3x the heat to breakdown than the internal metal needs to melt. That’s one reason why you need AC current for ally.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I hate to keep yapping on this but I suppose my problem is seeing how deep my puddle is. I can make great looking welds in aluminum but when I try to get a lot penetration I either get a WIDE bead or end up with something from outer space like a klingon space ship. Is it all practice? and when I get the shiny puddle and commence welding, will that weld hold? Do really appreciate the help and the forum.