Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
n3nman
    Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Starting to get some decent beads but having trouble with feeding TIG rod. So:

I am keeping rod close to puddle but not to close to get a ball on rod (in argon).
Using the Dab method.
Moving at a good clip depending on material

Lets say i am dabbing every second or so. Even if I could feed the rod correctly in my hand. When can I actually do this.
What I mean is I am so busy dabbing and such if I advance the rod in my hand while it is out it gets to close. I might not be describing this correct. But seems like I need a explanation of the timing when and where you feed the rod in your hand without loss of control of the rod position near the puddle. Thanks.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
n3nman

I have watched that. Not looking for hand motion but timing on when you have time to do this if you are dabing every second.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

It all about keeping your width, and crown of your weld consistent. Using your filler wire, speed, and pedal to do this. Adding too much filler wire can widen your bead, too much heat will also widen and flatten your bead. Timing of the filler wire can reduce the heat and narrow your bead. It's a balance of many things that only practice will cure. Watch the puddle.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Perhaps you’re thinking about it all wrong. There’s no time driven requirement for adding filler; filler is added to achieve the correct weld. Whether you use filler or not, you must learn to read/understand the puddle. When you add filler, the front edge of the puddle has almost developed the “keyhole” which indicates lack of filler.

Don’t stab filler in, slide the rod thru your hand by moving it with your fingers. Then you don’t run out of filler available to dip. Puddle, dab, move, dip, move, etc. Focus on the puddle needing filler, not the timing of it all.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Try a few different amounts of filler. Concentrate on not much, what you think is enough and what you think is too much per dab. Then compare results with what you think is a decent weld. There are lots of pictures out there stating too little, perfect and too much in comparison. Bear in mind that the amount you need to dip will be different for different size filler and different materials. Also even in different types of joints are positions.

Best, Mick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I think folks are missing the OP's point ( as I'm understanding it ) - he has dabbing & the amount of filler under control given limited experience - it's the fact that he's struggling to coordinate advancing the filler through his feed hand at the same time - I image without pulling the end out of the argon or most likely touching the tungsten with it ! I still find this difficult sometimes depending on position etc - especially moving round smaller pipe - but I admit Tig is my least used process - I tend when it's awkward to ease off the amps & stick the rod in the puddle & move hand position or filler wire grip or get a better line of sight then re -puddle & continue - probably not the most elegant way but it works for me - perhaps other more experienced Tig guys can share their methods - I do feel though it's mostly just something that comes with practice - like hundreds of hours - feeding through the hand is probably the last thing that " clicks " when learning - those that start on aluminum will get it faster - I really only welded stainless pipe & occasionally carbon steel for years so never needed to feed yards of filler hence it took longer for me to figure it.
n3nman

noddybrian wrote:I think folks are missing the OP's point ( as I'm understanding it ) - he has dabbing & the amount of filler under control given limited experience - it's the fact that he's struggling to coordinate advancing the filler through his feed hand at the same time - I image without pulling the end out of the argon or most likely touching the tungsten with it ! I still find this difficult sometimes depending on position etc - especially moving round smaller pipe - but I admit Tig is my least used process - I tend when it's awkward to ease off the amps & stick the rod in the puddle & move hand position or filler wire grip or get a better line of sight then re -puddle & continue - probably not the most elegant way but it works for me - perhaps other more experienced Tig guys can share their methods - I do feel though it's mostly just something that comes with practice - like hundreds of hours - feeding through the hand is probably the last thing that " clicks " when learning - those that start on aluminum will get it faster - I really only welded stainless pipe & occasionally carbon steel for years so never needed to feed yards of filler hence it took longer for me to figure it.

Bingo. That is the issue. I will just keep trying and burn more rod. Thanks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

noddybrian wrote:I think folks are missing the OP's point ( as I'm understanding it ) - he has dabbing & the amount of filler under control given limited experience - it's the fact that he's struggling to coordinate advancing the filler through his feed hand at the same time - I image without pulling the end out of the argon or most likely touching the tungsten with it ! I still find this difficult sometimes depending on position etc - especially moving round smaller pipe - but I admit Tig is my least used process - I tend when it's awkward to ease off the amps & stick the rod in the puddle & move hand position or filler wire grip or get a better line of sight then re -puddle & continue - probably not the most elegant way but it works for me - perhaps other more experienced Tig guys can share their methods - I do feel though it's mostly just something that comes with practice - like hundreds of hours - feeding through the hand is probably the last thing that " clicks " when learning - those that start on aluminum will get it faster - I really only welded stainless pipe & occasionally carbon steel for years so never needed to feed yards of filler hence it took longer for me to figure it.
I agree. Aluminum will force you to learn, where as steel is more laid back in its demands.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

It's been mentioned here before but there is a product referred to as a " Tig pen " which looks like the body of a fairly thick pen which you grip as such & on the end is a feed wheel that advances the filler wire through the center when rotated by finger tip - some see it as a " crutch " for those that never learn to feed by hand - some say it's a useful learning tool to take out one of the things distracting from watching the puddle some say it's a toy - some swear by them for certain jobs - I never tried one so can't comment - maybe it's something the OP would try on a temporary basis till everything come together ?
BillM
    Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

Hey everyone. My first post.
I'm a 40 year stick welder and just bought a miller syn 210. Does anyone know where you can buy the
'Tig Pen". I understand the concept but I'm watching the puddle more than how much filler rod I have left. Some of the videos I've watched addressed turning the filler rod as you dab to advance the rod in your hand.

thanks all
BillM
BillM
    Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:40 am

The wonder of Amazon! Tig pen came up on first search. I'll try it out.
sinisterbiker
    Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:08 pm

Practice practice practiceImage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Spokerider
    Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:47 am

I too am struggling with feeding the rod into the puddle, and trying to feed it through my fingertips at the same time. Yes, aluminum uses rod at a faster rate than steel. It goes fast!

Do you........hold yer hand steady and "dab" by feeding the rod through your finger tips? Or....."dab" with a slight push of the rod and then feed rod through fingertips during the "pause" phase?

I've tried advancing it through fingertips for each dab into the puddle, but keeping the rod tip steady and in correct position is a challenge.

Right now, I just move my hand closer, dabbing, until the 4" of rod is used up, then stop the weld, advance the rod another 4" and go at'er again. I need to learn some other correct method in order to better my welds.....which method?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

https://youtu.be/yBOwXXJU450

good demo. apologizes to jody.
tweak it until it breaks

Spokerider wrote: I've tried advancing it through fingertips for each dab into the puddle, but keeping the rod tip steady and in correct position is a challenge.

Right now, I just move my hand closer, dabbing, until the 4" of rod is used up, then stop the weld, advance the rod another 4" and go at'er again. I need to learn some other correct method in order to better my welds.....which method?
I think learning with 3/32 or 1/8" al filler is best, the larger dia and lite weight makes getting the movement down easier, the bottom line is you're going to have to figure out thru trying and practice what works best for you.

If you've ever watched Kane Kid you know he has a unique way to feed the rod, it's not better (although for him it is) it's just the way he does it.

Unless I have a long weld I typically don't feed the rod, just hold it back and dab until I get thru the weld.
Richard
Website