Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello everyone:
Haven't been here in quite a while. I'm considering buying a tungsten grinder. USAWELD has them on sale now but I'm trying to decide between the fixed angle (22.5 degrees) versus the adjustable angle grinder (10 to 30 degrees). There's a $60 difference in price. I have always understood that the 22.5 degs was the norm so when would I need something different? Have you encountered a situation where you needed a different angle? I'm trying to determine if it's worth the extra $60.00 for the adjustable.
All thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

If it was me I'd pay the $60 because...
1. I assume the grinder will last a long time, and I won't be limited to one angle
2. Thick or thin, stainless or aluminum, requirements are different
3. Options (multi angle) are always better then no option
4. Spend the money just once, no regrets
5. You'll probably be grinding tungsten for many years to come

They say you'll get a free diamond wheel, they don't say if its the standard or premium, I'll assume it's the standard. If you consider that you could have paid for another diamond wheel($55.90), so take the free wheel and spend the money on the multi angle
Richard
Website
RPat

Thanks very much for your response, I appreciate your thoughts. After reading your comments, I will go with the Adjustable. I was really leaning that way but I wanted to hear from an expert before pursuing it since I only do Tig on random occasions (ie: not an expert full time welder). :mrgreen:

RPat wrote:Thanks very much for your response, I appreciate your thoughts. After reading your comments, I will go with the Adjustable. I was really leaning that way but I wanted to hear from an expert before pursuing it since I only do Tig on random occasions (ie: not an expert full time welder). :mrgreen:
Well, I don't claim to be an expert, but I do earn a paycheck thru welding.

After you've used it awhile be sure and do a product review so others can benefit from your experience
Richard
Website
RPat

I will do that, thanks again.