Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

I’m welding 1/4” x 1” 6061 ally, double-V-groove butt welds with each piece at 90 degrees to the next to fabricate 48” x 48” frames for holding light diffusion material. If you’ve followed my recent posts you will already know this. Each piece of 48” ally has a 45 degree mitre cut at both ends to make a nice corner.

In terms of prep I’ve been grinding my joints at each mitre cut to a “v” and placing the pieces to be joined in contact with one another. In other words, no root face and no root opening. Like this: ===><===.

I’d include a photo but I’m not in the shop right now. I’ll take one tomorrow if this is too hard to visualize.

I’ve been reading up on this and I get the idea that A) I don’t need to grind my to-be-welded edges all the way down to a knife edge, and B) I maybe should leave a small root opening and maybe should not have my two edges touching each other.

Any thoughts from anyone?

Appreciate the input.

Jon
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I would not leave a gap. I would only bevel from side. 1/4” material welded fully then flush ground will be plenty strong. Or at least as strong as aluminum frames are anyway.
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

cj737 - Good. Well that answers that. Thanks much (again). ;)

Jon