Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

If I can oxy-weld mild steel with just heat from the torch and a filler rod (I.e. no flux, no inert gas, etc.) why can't I TIG weld mild steel without Argon?

I ran out of Argon and ordered too late to get a refill (I'll probably go down to Home Depot and get some tomorrow) and need to weld up some mild steel. So I was wondering what the protocol might be on this.

Is it the electrical arc and the ionization of the air that the Argon is needed for? Or how does this work?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

with oxy-weld the combustion gases acts as an inert gas.

short answer is no you need inert gas to tig weld.
in situation like this its handy to have arc electrodes handy as most tig welders are also arc welders.
tweak it until it breaks

Home Depot has argon??
Richard
Website
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

LtBadd wrote:Home Depot has argon??
just looked online, looks like some HDs do sell it. Go figure. $204.00 for a 40cf tank, but it also says contents sold separately, dunno. But, ya never know with the big box stores, they like to get a piece of the action when they can.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Like harbor freight they will sell you an empty bottle.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

If you ever tried TIG welding but forgot to turn on the gas, you would get your answer pretty quickly. The tungsten sort of disintegrates and makes a big mess. Not pretty. I used to do it all the time when I was teaching myself scratch start TIG with a gas valve torch. Half the time I would forget to open the valve before lighting off.
Multimatic 255
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

And you know instantly what you forgot to turn on! LOL
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks all for your answers. Kinda makes sense that you need Argon but wanted to check anyway...

Jon
    Fri May 11, 2018 3:36 pm

Tractor supply and Rural King both sell argon.... and yes you MUST have a shielding gas. Impossible to TIG weld without it.