Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Chopped out and replaced rusty 2" sched40 ammonia pipe today.

Tomorrow if the rain stays away I'll chop out and replace this rusty flange and valve.ImageImage

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

I think it's seen better days :shock:
Richard
Website
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Really - quick " chivvy " up with a needle gun & some paint should be good for another year or 10 !
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

That will buff right out!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Coldman

The weather and other hindrances have kept me from this job but I did manage to fab another one up in the shop so I only have one weld on site. Yes.

Coldman

The flange was a socket weld but was a weird size, 3/4" pipe wouldn't quite go in. Had to shave a poofteenth off on the linisher before it would slide in.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

God love the metric flanges and the sae pipe!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Mr_Joshua
    Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:01 am

Coldman wrote:The flange was a socket weld but was a weird size, 3/4" pipe wouldn't quite go in. Had to shave a poofteenth off on the linisher before it would slide in.

"Poofteenth". I like that. I think I will steal it. It's like bigger that a smidge, but smaller than a skosh. Sounds a bit more technical as well.
"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Samuel Clemens

HTP Pro Pulse 200
Lincoln 210 MP
Water-Cooled Everlast 325 EXT "Ultra Super Professional Edition"
noddybrian

I guess that's an engineering term for non machinists as I never heard Addam Booth or Keith Fenner mention it - not even this old Tony ! - is it still permitted in the modern age ? you know how touchy the shirt lifters are now with all they're " rights "

noddybrian wrote:I guess that's an engineering term for non machinists as I never heard Addam Booth or Keith Fenner mention it - not even this old Tony ! - is it still permitted in the modern age ? you know how touchy the shirt lifters are now with all they're " rights "
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Richard
Website
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's smaller than a Gnats cock but slightly bigger than a Bees Dick.
Coldman

Finally got to this job today. 40 degrees Celsius on site, yes, another day in paradise.
Finished pumping out the liquid receiver and cut out the old valves. Due to shit design the pipe is full of contaminated oil, it's running out.

They recon you can't tig pipe butts with oil running out of it.

Do you recon I can do it?Image

Coldman

Piece of piss for a trained digger.Image

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Now...let's see the face behind that mask!
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
noddybrian

Maybe not - when all that vaporized oil flashed over & the fire ball engolfed him it likely is'nt pretty !
Coldman

Not far from the truth! While I was repositioning myself hot oil dripped into my ear hole. I think I said a bad word at that time. It's a bit tender today but maybe I'm hearing better after the hot oil melted the wax out of my ear.

Yes, you picked it. I have a face like a dropped pie. If I took the helmet off I might get banned from the forum for excessive vulgarity.

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't know if it's the water or the vapors from the OZ land. I'm really enjoying reading about "the life of the COLDMAN".
I have definitely learned that you got to laugh and enjoy life....the cotton picker can be really short and things can happen quick.
Thank you ALL for joy of the forum.
Bill

That vessel looks like its had a hard life. Paint it purple and people won't notice the excessive corrosion? Are they subjected to the normal pressure test requirements? Via worksafe?
Coldman

Yer, subjected to acid rain off the condensers for a long time. Told em to paint 2-pack but nooo, single pak will do. I've been doing this a long time what do I know. Bean counters know better apparently, probably a long haired one too. Vessel inspected and thickness tested every year, all good for now.

Coldman wrote:hot oil dripped into my ear hole. I think I said a bad word at that time.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I can recall a few times a hot spark going into my shoe, no sense trying to get the shoe off, by that time it's too late :o
Richard
Website
Coldman

Yes you're right.
Nothing that can't be fixed by a good knee trembler followed by some cleansing ales.

Thickness testing.... Yeah there's some thickness left. She's right mate. Now... Mines a 4x.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

duplicate
Last edited by kiwi2wheels on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Coldman wrote:Piece of piss for a trained digger.Image

This pic should be good guidance for those who are considering what breed of auto helmet to buy.