Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rjr8009
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Hey guys, trying to weld aluminum for a JIG. I have a Miller Syncrowave 250 DX, FUPA12 cups and am using 3/32 grey tungtstens that are blunted. In the pictures posted below, I have also jumped up to 200 amps, as well as turned my continuous HF on. 15-20 CFH Argon. The pieces are not clean, I am simply trying to establish a puddle before I clean any scrap pieces up to run real beads on. Thanks fellas
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 742 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (24.52 KiB) Viewed 742 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (22.13 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't

Ok, do you have a question?

What is the thickness of the aluminum plate your welding?
Richard
Website
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I think FUPA cups are not recommended for AC because they can short out. Also there is an amp limit of around 150-175 IIRC for DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You don’t need a Fupa for aluminum. Drop to a #8.
amusick10
    Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:44 am

What’s the purpose behind the HF being on full time? Shouldn’t it just be needed to start the arc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You should not have black soot on such clean aluminum. Make sure you are not trying to weld anodized aluminum. For aluminum that clean (it should all be as clean as possible). you should only have a frosty white band from the cleaning action/etching.