Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DLCeveryday
    Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:12 pm

how would I fill a half inch hole vertically ? 1/8 aluminum . cut a disc to fit ? just keep filling it in starting from edges ? do I need a backer ? stainless , copper ? increase my shielding flow ? I seem to be having trouble with my heat either too much blowing out or too cold no pool. I was thinking maybe a backer for a heat sink and to contain my gas . ???

1/2" isn't that big, you can use a backer but not necessary. just start on the edge and fill as you move around it, no special settings for gas flow needed.

I would start at the edge and move around filling as you go, when the hole closes up, you'll need to then fill to the surface of the material

Will you be able to turn this over and fill the back side or do you need to get 100% penetration from just 1 side? It's easier if you can turn the part over and fill from the back side.

If your filling the hole just for cosmetic appearance then a slug could be used, but again, 1/2" hole isn't too big to just weld it up

If you choose to use a backer I'd use copper because I have that, but it will pull heat away from the weld, and that will vary depending on how thick the copper is, just watch the puddle and weld as you normally would.

You complain of too little or too much heat, are you using a foot pedal?
Richard
Website
DLCeveryday

LtBadd wrote:1/2" isn't that big, you can use a backer but not necessary. just start on the edge and fill as you move around it, no special settings for gas flow needed.

I would start at the edge and move around filling as you go, when the hole closes up, you'll need to then fill to the surface of the material

Will you be able to turn this over and fill the back side or do you need to get 100% penetration from just 1 side? It's easier if you can turn the part over and fill from the back side.

If your filling the hole just for cosmetic appearance then a slug could be used, but again, 1/2" hole isn't too big to just weld it up

If you choose to use a backer I'd use copper because I have that, but it will pull heat away from the weld, and that will vary depending on how thick the copper is, just watch the puddle and weld as you normally would.

yeah , I got a foot pedal ..just learning to use it i guess , lol. I can move around to the back side later and weld. I tried using a slug but I popped it out after welding it , didnt stick .lol. I guess I need to work on my puddle control . I have saw plenty of videos where people fill them laying flat , but never vertical. everything drips out, lol

DLCeveryday

LtBadd wrote:1/2" isn't that big, you can use a backer but not necessary. just start on the edge and fill as you move around it, no special settings for gas flow needed.

yeah , I got a foot pedal ..just learning to use it i guess , lol. I can move around to the back side later and weld. I tried using a slug but I popped it out after welding it , didnt stick .lol. I guess I need to work on my puddle control . I have saw plenty of videos where people fill them laying flat , but never vertical. everything drips out, lol

ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

If the hole that you're filling is in a tube and there's no place for the heated gas/air in that tube to escape, remember to drill a small hole to release pressure or that weld might just blow out. Happened to me just yesterday :oops: which is why I mention it...

Jon