Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sportster
    Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

Responses to my last thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14184) convinced me I should give gas lens a try........ and go for "better welds" vs expecting much in gas savings. I'm listening. :)

Going down this path, I see there's "gas lens" & "gas saver lens" available from CK Worldwide.

These seem functionally equivalent, with minor differences such as "screw on cups" vs "push on cups", pricing, etc. ..... but as a rookie TIG welder, maybe I'm missing something else.

So, before I go out & buy something, I guess my simplified question is:

Which one is likely to produce better welds ? or are the results of either, more or less equal ?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Screw on cups are generally alumina-type (pink) and ceramic. Push-on cups tend to be pyrex. Typically, the gas lenses from CK support using either, the difference being an O-ring is used for the Pyrex cups due to the absence of internal threads.

Pyrex cups work really well in tight spots, offering a bit more see-thru clarity, or with long stick-outs required where the cup obstructs your vision.

The ceramic cups are inexpensive and sooner or later you'll probably break one, buy several to keep on hand.

I typically use a #8 cup on 98% of what I do, if you're learning the 8 would be my recommendation, which goes on the gas lens.

You can buy "cheap" imports but I'd really suggest staying with CK or other major brand, for the price difference (which isn't much) stay with known quality parts.
Richard
Website
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

I agree, a #7 or #8 pink cup for gas lens work. Available from the Weldmonger store.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

sportster wrote:Responses to my last thread (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14184) convinced me I should give gas lens a try........ and go for "better welds" vs expecting much in gas savings. I'm listening. :)

Going down this path, I see there's "gas lens" & "gas saver lens" available from CK Worldwide.
they are the same thing.
however there is a couple of different types.
unfortunately i have not got my head around all the different parts numbers etc.
but there is two main gas lens. the stubby kit, which jody sells, and also a long gas lens.
the main difference is short cups vers long cups. which ever you feel comfortable using.
i have both, i prefer the stubby so i can get into tight places but also easier for me to hold and slide along with.

i have always wondered if the long one would have better tungsten cooling.
tweak it until it breaks
sportster
    Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

tweake wrote: they are the same thing.
however there is a couple of different types.
unfortunately i have not got my head around all the different parts numbers etc.
Yeah, I tend to agree (but I'm a rookie so me agreeing doesn't count for much :)). There's a lot of different part numbers when looking at just the "gas lens" vs "gas saver lens". This diagram from CK seems to show what p/n works with what p/n. https://www.ckworldwide.com/13n-(2-series).html In my case, I'm interested in just the #20 torch parts.

In reviewing the CK diagram there seems to be substantial differences in how the parts assemble. Specifically I'm referring to the assembly of their "gas lens" nomenclature parts vs "gas saver lens" nomenclature parts.

BUT if, functionally, I can expect to achieve the same weld results with either the "gas lens" vs "gas saver lens", then I'll just pick one & go with it. I think I'm at that point now. Thanks to all responders for your valuable input.

Well the gas lens is very different(as you said) then the gas saver, you may achieve the same result but the cups, collet bodies and heat shield are different. The collet seems to be the same part.
2 series gas saver
2 series gas saver
snip_20190426183032.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
2 series gas lens
2 series gas lens
snip_20190426182959.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
Richard
Website