Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

To start off I will not burn the house down, that being said, I know that house wire is made of copper :oops:
My question is what is "inrush amps " the manual says 40a inrush and would that be the size breaker I need or, Everlast 250ex that suggests a 50 amp plug, do I need a 50 amp breaker? Maximum operating (rated effective) is listed at 32a.
Hand me a broken part you need and I can whip it up from scratch, ask me about wiring and you get the Deer in the head-light stare. I have a friend that knows house wiring but is out of town for a week and I have a new tool I can't play with.
Signed, Bewildered
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Inrush is the maximum starting amperage of the load or the most power it would need the wire size depends on the run length but personally I would over build it for future use (do it once do it right ) in my shop the longest run is about 80 feet I used # 6 wire on a 50 amp breaker and I have a few old power hungry trans machines

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
aeroplain

Thanks Mike!!
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Sure thing if you over do it you can always run a compressor different welder plasma or hell even a pizza oven !

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i can't say much as i'm in a different country with different rules.
but generally the manufacture supplies a suitable plug on the machine. so your outlet needs to fit that or better it. no problem fitting a bigger amp plug and wall socket. often its just a bit of a waste as the house wiring is the limitation.
the breaker is to protect the wiring so it doesn't go up in fire and burn your house down. so its not wise to change breaker size.
tweak it until it breaks
aeroplain

Thanks tweake. The machine did not come with the plug end, but does suggest a 50 amp end. My old house has a 100 amp service and need to put in the new breaker/circuit for the machine. I have the patience to make it right.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

aeroplain wrote:To start off I will not burn the house down...

...ask me about wiring and you get the Deer in the head-light stare.
Good, don't burn the house down, lol. Just wait for your friend that "knows" wiring. Most of the "knowing" wiring relates to knowing amperage draw requirements and everything else associated with that, including very "peculiar" behavior with regards to how circuit breakers actually work to beak a circuit. If it's just a tool that you play with, a week isn't going to kill you. If you are a professional and you need it to make money, you would have called an electrician by now. :D
aeroplain

Last edited by aeroplain on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeroplain

Good, don't burn the house down, lol. Just wait for your friend that "knows" wiring. Most of the "knowing" wiring relates to knowing amperage draw requirements and everything else associated with that, including very "peculiar" behavior with regards to how circuit breakers actually work to beak a circuit. If it's just a tool that you play with, a week isn't going to kill you. If you are a professional and you need it to make money, you would have called an electrician by now. :D
You are correct on all counts. :D
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

if wiring it from scratch then over build it. most standard sizing allows for a bit of voltage drop which is not good for welders.
tweak it until it breaks