Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DJV94
    Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 am

Hi all,

I work in a shop with several other welders. Recently we have been trying to tackle the problem of forgetting to ground. Our machines are usually always grounded to the table, but we are supposed to use a jumper cable from the ground clamp to our actual piece of work. This is because the work rests on a mix of metal and plastic tooling, and if not directly grounded, can cause an arc strike somewhere along the part. Depending on how bad it is and due to the sensitive nature of our product, it usually scraps the entire piece of requires many labor hours to replace the section that was damaged. I should note that this usually happens when a welder removes the ground clamp to adjust the position of the part they’re welding.

Obviously this is just something you have to remember to do before striking an arc, but everyone slips up from time to time. Are there any tips or tricks you guys use to remember to keep grounded? Any processes that your shops have implemented to prevent this?

Thanks!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Two methods that come to mind is to completely insulate the table so it can't weld without the jumper cable. Or put a hanger for the jumper cable in front of the hanger for the welding torch. That way you can't get at the torch without moving the jumper cable.

Hope this helps.

A third one I thought of was make one of your fixture hold down points the ground and put a copper pad on it. (assumption being that you have hold down fixtures. That way, you get clamping you require and the ground in one go.
DJV94
    Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:47 am

Mike - great idea with insulating the entire table. A good idiot-proof way of going about it. Thanks for the input!

No problem mate. Best of luck with it
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Lose the second jumper clamp, insulate the table with a sheet of something.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

We call it Bluetooth ground but it never seems to work no matter how many times we try.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

it's 'cause a lot of people lose their wi-fi signal, that's why the bluetooth ground doesn't work too well :lol:
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Oscar wrote:it's 'cause a lot of people lose their wi-fi signal, that's why the bluetooth ground doesn't work too well :lol:
I had the same problem a week ago. A blue speckled U U bird sitting on the wire interfering with wi-fi.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Bluetooth is an ACTIVE protocol, so it won't work on the return side. It should be fine on the torch side of the circuit.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!