Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
texas webb
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:47 am

can the same grinding wheel/stone be used for all tungsten?lanth/thor etc,Thanks.

yes no problem
Richard
Website
texas webb

Thank you.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

In principal yes I agree - ( unless working for Nasa maybe ! ) but if your at a stage where you are routinely removing giant blobs of filler metal especially aluminum from your tungsten try to keep one wheel for removing contamination & another for finishing as you can quickly load wheels up to a degree they will put some muck back on the tungsten - that said depending where I'm working I've used angle grinders / flap wheels / belt sanders / die grinders etc when I had nothing better & can't honestly say I can attribute my best or worst weld to grinding prep ! ( I heard when you reach 1000 posts & become a weldmonger nothing jumps on your tungsten anymore - but I think my tungsten missed that memo ! )
texas webb

Thank you also.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I can say yes as well if you want.

Then you can feel like it really is okay.

Just remember the theory is that the thoriated tungstens are most toxic when being ground (grinded? how is that said correctly?) so most people wear a respirator or something.

Otherwise, be aware of them sometimes snapping off and flying at you, always wear glasses. I've had some snap and go right for my eyes, but my face shield deflected it, still makes you jump back though.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Has anyone tried the Tungstenmate sharpener? The manufacturer thinks it’s great.
If you have to grind your welds to make them look good, you are a grinder not a welder. I own 3 grinders.

Kevin wrote:Has anyone tried the Tungstenmate sharpener? The manufacturer thinks it’s great.
Of course they do...
There are many of these units for sell with different names

Is this your product?
Richard
Website

No. Looking to find a way to stay at the table instead of walking to the belt sander every 5 minutes. Jody makes tig look easy. IT’S NOT! But I’m learning.
If you have to grind your welds to make them look good, you are a grinder not a welder. I own 3 grinders.

Did you mean the grinder or the high priced sculpture? Sculpture is from the collectively warped minds of my wife and me. She’s the artist and I get to figure out how to make things stick together. Gets tense in the “studio” some days.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Best way to stay at the table longer is to grind 5 or more tungsten at a time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Kevin wrote:Did you mean the grinder or the high priced sculpture? Sculpture is from the collectively warped minds of my wife and me. She’s the artist and I get to figure out how to make things stick together. Gets tense in the “studio” some days.
I meant the grinder, there are probably more then a few threads on sharpening tungsten here and other forums. Bottom line is you don't have to spend a lot of money, but I realize in your situation you want something that'll allow you to stay at the bench.
Josh's suggestion of grinding more then one tungsten is best, I've been TIG welding for a long time, and even if I got lucky to not dip the tungsten they still wear and need to be replaced. TIGing steel (even clean steel) will really erode the tip.

Do you already have the required Dremel tool for the sharpener in your 1st post?
Richard
Website

Makes sense to have multiple rounds at hand. Thanks!
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

I found this slick set up on amazon, if you have a die grinder this thing will cost you about $15... until I figure out how to post pics here, I posted it on my FB page in the AHP owners page.. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Welcome from Texas! I'm just down the road, 2 hours away, lol.
texas webb

Yes and thanks to all for the replies.Still trying to figure out my 2 piece century equip.