Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Is there any difference between the CK premium Super Flex cable and the torch cable that comes with the AHP 201 XD?

Also can someone measure the outside diameter of there 9 or 17 series super flex cable. So I can compare diameter to what I got. Use a caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

diameter isn't really going to be a useful measurement to you. You have to feel them to see how supple/flexible the really are, and you have to weld with it to see if you like that or not. Some people don't want a hose that is too "noodle" like. To each his own I guess.
Multimatic 255

Ok,

The cable that came with my torch is very slinky and flexible. Problem being, all my experience building things previously did not involve welding. So when I hear people talk about super flex and 20 series torch I get alert.

Another issue is, I do not have any access to a professional welding shop to try stuff out. For example, now I have a 17 style torch with a removable torch head that I can put a 9 series head on also. But the torch handle is still 17 series.

For the guys that use a 20 series torch. Did you find it strange to go from a bigger handle torch like the 17 compared to having three hoses attached to the smaller torch of the 20 series.

As an observer the people using 20 series torches are having to drag around more cable and have more weight on the torch compared to air cooled.

I really want to know if that is a factor for people. Do the extra cables bother you and has was the transition to having to deal with more cables to the torch.

Can you tell I have worked more wood and then steel?
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

For the guys that use a 20 series torch. Did you find it strange to go from a bigger handle torch like the 17 compared to having three hoses attached to the smaller torch of the 20 series.
The difference in diameter on a 20 series torch wasn't an issue for me...its just not noticeable IMO. Where the 20 excels is the small head and smaller consumables. A 20 torch with a stubby gas lens and a short back cap can weld just about anywhere. And most 20 torches are capable of CRAZY amps (250-300)
As an observer the people using 20 series torches are having to drag around more cable and have more weight on the torch compared to air cooled.
Yes and no...as you work you learn to drape the cable over your shoulder and the amount of weight you are carrying is immaterial
I really want to know if that is a factor for people. Do the extra cables bother you and has was the transition to having to deal with more cables to the torch.
Nope.
Multimatic 255

Ok

Got more hood time today and thought about the cable more and the torch. Think the torch that came with the welder is just fine. When it becomes noticeable that it's inadequate I will just upgrade then. I don't think it's necessary that I learn on the 20 series. After today I think it would just be another thing to manage when it's not really needed.