Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
fakky
    Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Trying to tig a bracket onto frame of truck. Just tacked right now.

Truck is around 3/8 thick ....... the bracket steel is around 1/8th.

Whats the right way to approach this ? In terms of setup (Amps) .... and preheat or not etc ......
Started out setting to around a split of 150A .... and really it just soaked into the larger metal and blew out the thinner metal.
arenjenkins
    Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:08 am

Really depends on the joint configuration, I'm assuming it's a t type configuration with the 1/8" sticking out from the 3/8" piece?

I would make sure the fit up is really good. The 1/8" piece shouldn't have any gaps. Any place the plate isn't touching is going to make it blow out easily. To me that joint comes down to where you focus the arc and using the filler to cool the puddle where and when you need it. If you can, you can also place some aluminum or copper behind the 1/8" piece to soak up some of the heat.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

focus your heat on the thicker 3/8" material or you'll blow out the 1/8" pretty easy...DAMHIKT

Your arc should be on the 3/8" side.

I agree with adding some backer on that 1/8" if you can, to soak up some of the heat.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Grinding away that rust before you tacked it up would be a good idea as well.

Like other said using some aluminum backing/heat sync would be a good idea as well. Focus the arc on the 3/8 and wick the puddle up to the thinner material.

You got it!