Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DAMINK
    Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:04 am

I killed my tig machine a few days ago so wanted to convert my little arc welder into a scratch start unit.
My arc welder has the standard Dinse type connectors.
My tig torch has a screw connector with 2 pins similar to below image.

Can i just connect positive to one of these pins to make it DCEN scratch start unit or is it just not that simple?
DAMINK

Im confused here i think.

Perhaps its the gas feed that completes the main connection and this 2 pin connector is only for the tig button?
In which case i cant see this torch setup working with a scratch start until i get a new torch with the dins.
5vzfehilux
    Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:22 am

Yes I believe you are on the right track. Your torch setup would be a "power cable" where the gas feed as well as the current to light up the tungsten runs through the one cable. The 2 pin aviation socket you have taken a picture of is just the on/off switch for the current.
If you google M16x1.5 to dinse connector I believe that will get you out of trouble if and only if the dinse is the right size. And as you're already thinking with scratch start the tungsten will be live 100% of the time and not switchable like your current setup
DAMINK

Thanks mate.
You gave me the confidence to connect it and try.
Ended up running my gas through the old welder so the trigger still works and then my new arc welder connected to it.

Now i have a scratch start tig with button gas. Only problem is both machines need to run but i can gut the inside of my old one i guess and take the valve for the trigger and fit it beside the new arc.

Either way im back running tig :)

Thankyou.