Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Hey guys so I have potential job interview coming up. A old timer that I used to work with at a previous job put in a good word for me at his new job and I am going to do a walk through of the shop next week. It is building big dairy tanks and piping systems, not what I want to do but there no aluminum welding jobs up here that pay decent enough to make a job change, even though I hate the company I am at. The only thing I am worried about is most of it is done with scratch start tig something I have never done. Some the machines have torch switches and I am comfortable with that. Do you guys have any tips? Main thing I am concerned about is leaving a pin hole at the end of the weld.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For scratch-start, scratch at the top edge of the bevel, so your arc mark will be buried at the end. (If you stick it, grind it).

When you tail off, just slowly pull the torch away from the work, and watch the puddle. The arc will start to wander. If you do this slowly, the puddle will solidify almost completly before you break the arc. An alternate method, especially if you walk the cup, is to leave the cup on the bead and slowly roll your wrist to move the tungsten away from the puddle. Same effect, but less gas coverage on the weld behind you.

BTW, both tips apply to lift-arc, as well.

Steve s
ajlskater1

K thanks Otto Congrats on being a moderator BTW. I don't think they walk the cup to many pipes in the way from the pics my buddy sent me.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks, ajlskater1,

When the subject came up, I suggested myself and weldinmike27, because we are here daily, and on completely opposite time zones. My thought was, "twice daily" coverage to get the spammers off the site immediately, so the users, especially new users, aren't discouraged.

I underestimated (slightly) what I was in for (long story), but I don't regret it.

I hope the "scratch-start" tips I suggested are of help.

Steve S
ajlskater1

I was playing around last night and it wasn't actually that bad. I don't have a leak tester to see if I am leaving a pin hole but I think I am good the pulling up trick works good. You are definitely the right Guy for the job you are on a lot and give good advice. I hope I get this job and get back into fabrication vs just bench welding all day. And as you know I haven't like my current job from the start and now its getting worse. They are changing procedures to allow 30 thousandths undercut just because most of the other welders can't weld with out getting undercut lol, instead of getting good guys or telling the ones we got to do their job.