Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sunppeli
    Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:27 am

Hello people!

I have a WP-26F torch on a 250amp Chinese ac/dc TIG-welder. I often weld thick materials using high amperage. The last work I did I had the workpiece set on my metal lathe and the torch on the tool post. I used around 150 amps for like 2 minutes and when I lifted my mask, the torch was on fire! This is the damage:
I think the rating for this torch is 35%@140amp so it was at the max rating but I'm still pretty amazed.. I've had this torch very hot before, maybe that has something to do with it too.

Anyways, I do need a better torch. Also I never liked the torch I had because it's so big and uncomfortable and I didn't like the flexing neck. I guess the only way is to go water-cooled?

What is the easiest way to upgrade to water-cooled? I'll make the cooling system myself but how about the torch? What parts do you suggest? I'd like to use the same cables because they never heat up. I'd also like to be able to hold the torch by the cup.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi - I've also been looking at water cooled options but am tempted to go with the small size 20 torch ( when funds allow ! ) - if you want to stay with the large hardware so any collets / ceramics you already have fit the new set up just go on Ebay and search WP18 torch body - there are plenty of suppliers both domestic and import that will sell you just the torch if your happy to make up the cooling parts ( I've used " Shop River " in China & found them good on price & quality seemed OK ) - I've not got to it yet but found some small quiet circulating pumps listed in with solar panel / heating bits & I think a smallish heater matrix out of a car would be suitable for dispersing the heat - just need a small mains fan mounted to it - have seen some in Radio Spares catalogue - hope this inspires you. all the best
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

take a good long look at ck worldwide flex lock torch. jody did a video on it... water cooled or air cooled are available. big or small hardware for each. its a very nice feature to be able to get the angle you want. i have a wp20, and a wp18 water cooled torches and added a air cooled flex lock to my tool belt. i got the super flex hose also. what a great torch for many different applications. so user friendly. i also got both size heads, so i can decide with hardware for each job.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I have a WP 20 on my ABP welder but no water cooler. I just run water from the spigot thru it to an external discharge. It doesn't use as much water as you would think. I catch mine in a basin and water my plants with it. For whatever I may use in water, it is at least partially cancelled out from not having to run the pump and fan from a cooler. Another friend of mine, has his run into a pvc pipe with weep holes in it to his garden bed.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

At my trade school they ran a system like that, Jeff. Just water line running round the bays from an outlet then into the sink. Beats having 10 water coolers running for hours, for shear noise alone.

mick
TamJeff

Mike,

When I first got my machine, I didn't have extra money to be buying a water cooler. Initially, I was put off with just running good water through the machine. After using it, though, it's one of the best ways to cool a torch just for the simplicity of it. What would be nicer would be a solenoid valve that only lets the water run when the torch is on. Maybe even hooked up to the post flow timer or something.

Hey,

Thats right, Im in a very dry area at the moment so any water saving ideas go in the memory bank for later on.

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Why not a 55-gal drum or two, even fed from the downspout to catch rainwater when available, top it up from the tap when needed, and recirculate to the same barrel(s) with a simple fountain pump? Have to weld a long time to get 55-110 gal of water hot... Paint 'em flat black inside and out, and put 'em in the shade...

Steve S
TamJeff

That would work. If someone had the notion to do it. It would take a good bit of time welding to recycle through 55 gallons.
sunppeli

Being a hobbyist low on money, for now I ended up modifying the broken neck of the torch. I'll make a new stiff neck and the end part with the threads, out of thick aluminum and put a rubber hose on the parts 8-) . That should be able to take more heat than the original part and I'll also make the neck shorter and the angle nicer. Somebody here gave a hint about using gas lens, I'll try that too.

I'll also start to save money for a proper water-cooled torch..
Agronerd
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm

I built a water cooler out a 5 gallon bucket and a small fountain pump from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... R5zNPIZTaI). To ensure that I didn't burn the pump up right off the bat, I plumbed a return line from the pressure side back to the bucket with a ball valve so I could regulate the amount of water traveling through the torch head. With 3 gallons of water, I could weld 1/8" aluminum all day without having a torch so hot you couldn't handle (which I had with the original air cooled torch). If you want pictures, please let me know.
sunppeli

If anyone is interested, this is what I came up for now:
And this is the torch the way I ended up using it:
It now has electric tape as insulation but I'm going to look for a rubber hose to fit on it. I'm also going to modify the gas lens setup so that I can get the thing shorter.

Works really well, takes a bit more heat than the original torch head. I still need to buy a watercooled torch from Shop-River, but this will still be good for a lot of work. And at least it was fun to make and it's pretty unique :mrgreen: .

Hey,

Thats cool, (no pun intended) You could go into the market for custom TIG torches.

Seems that you are a bit of an ideas man. I am too, but i end up reinventing the wheel when I only needed to put some air in the tire.

Mick
sunppeli

I'm also a big wheel reinventer.. It would have been almost the same price if I ordered a complete WC-torch set from Shop-River.... I guess it's not necessary for a hobby to be so rational all the time : ).

Hey,

all good mate. Now at least youll be able to fix the head if the thread flog out. A problem if people are rough with the hardware, like my work.

Mick
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Self-fusing high temperature tape will work great for your application.
http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CP6mtY ... MgodX3IAmg
(Standard electrical tape adhesive gets soft and sticky when heated.)
sunppeli wrote:If anyone is interested, this is what I came up for now:
And this is the torch the way I ended up using it:
It now has electric tape as insulation but I'm going to look for a rubber hose to fit on it. I'm also going to modify the gas lens setup so that I can get the thing shorter.

Works really well, takes a bit more heat than the original torch head. I still need to buy a watercooled torch from Shop-River, but this will still be good for a lot of work. And at least it was fun to make and it's pretty unique :mrgreen: .
MackPhelps
    Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:29 am

noddybrian wrote:Hi - I've also been looking at water cooled options but am tempted to go with the small size 20 torch ( when funds allow ! ) - if you want to stay with the large hardware so any collets / ceramics you already have fit the new set up just go on Ebay and search WP18 torch body - there are plenty of suppliers both domestic and import that will sell you just the torch if your happy to make up the cooling parts ( I've used " Shop River " in China & found them good on price & quality seemed OK ) - I've not got to it yet but found some small quiet circulating pumps listed in with solar panels / heating bits & I think a smallish heater matrix out of a car would be suitable for dispersing the heat - just need a small mains fan mounted to it - have seen some in Radio Spares catalogue - hope this inspires you. all the best
Surely it is inspiring.. I am willing to get circulating pumps with solar panel and heating bits..WIll share some pics very soon