Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I joined a few years ago and had tons of questions and thoughts. Ya'll were there to support me and I think I paid some of the support forward with other replies to other n00bs in my boots at the time :)

So it's been a long time but I'm not a pro welder nor have many welding projects. I'm currently upgrading my Bronco's suspension and had to do some welding finally! Well I'm still not a pro, but I think I did good enough AND I'm pretty sure the frame will break before my welds do :)

So again, thank you all cuz I wouldn't have been able nor have the confidence to do this if it weren't for Jody and all ya'lls help!
Attachments
Shock hoop welded in
Shock hoop welded in
DSC04435.JPG (41.78 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
My best bead of the bunch
My best bead of the bunch
DSC04433.JPG (51.41 KiB) Viewed 1540 times
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
trainingGrounds
    Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Looks cool. Hey I'd be interested in seeing more of the welds and see if I or others can't give any pointers. If you're interested.

Looking at this weld here it appears that there is some undercut. Now I don't know much about being a mechanic and upgrading suspensions but if this was being put through some impact stress, it's possible those undercut areas might be a weak area for that kind of stress. I could be wrong since I know very little about what I am looking at in terms of mechanics but I want to throw it out there.

I can get a few more since I don't mind the critique :) It's done so there really isn't much goin back either.

I can identify a lot of issues all around but it was all the skills ya'll taught me to see where I failed and how I could improve as I went along/future. I've learned enough and seen enough to know that this won't kill me too because the root is fully welded, my HAZ is decent, and my failures overall are more presentation/consistency vs. penetration/weld. There's plenty of cut on the brace plate but not too much/deep in the frame which should be good because it's also bolted in and I figure it's better to steal from the outer plate than the frame as I fill/tie things in. There was also some very wide gaps I had to "figure out"..... I know I have some stress points in the frame but I did do a quick "wash" all around to even out the heat stress and of course hide some blemishes along the way.

So that's my thoughts so far and yeah I'll get some pix cuz it'll help me and it'll help others sinceI'm not the first idiot with a torch that knew enough to be dangerous doin a real world welding application ;)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
trainingGrounds
    Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Hey sounds good. I thought it might be more superficial like you are saying. So I'm glad you are confident of it overall.

It's almost 1 year since I did this and it's still holding up with no cracks! I feel less scared to share these original weld photos now :D
I get to do some more welding today too...

To the original point, this was my third real weld project and a life critical weld project at that. It's held strong and I've beaten on it and no problems! I'm not for hire cuz I wouldn't qualify BUT for my own needs, I'm happy with the results so truly thank you all for gettin me here :)
Attachments
Passenger coilover tabs
Passenger coilover tabs
DSC04567.JPG (31.81 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Driver coilover tabs
Driver coilover tabs
DSC04558.JPG (38.98 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
DSC04437.JPG
DSC04437.JPG (38.25 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
It's not bad and it's holding :)
It's not bad and it's holding :)
DSC04434.JPG (37.41 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
A happy run
A happy run
DSC04433.JPG (51.41 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Driver partial pass
Driver partial pass
DSC04431.JPG (37.61 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Tacks
Tacks
DSC04427.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1

Here's a shot almost 1 year later after a few light trails and still figuring the suspension out. Welds are still holding with no cracks tho, that's all that matters ;)
Attachments
Almost 1 year later
Almost 1 year later
IMG_20191228_143115255_HDR.jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Looks good!

Thank you Oscar! Out of all the people, your appreciation probably means the most since you're pretty cut n dry when it comes to your opinions which I've always appreciated and respected. No sugar with you, just the meat n taters ;)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1

Don't pay attention to me, I'm just a hobbyist! I can only imagine the work it must have taken to get all that clean enough to TIG it! I would have MIG'd it.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Meat and potatoes? Ha. Get im started on HTP and the sauce starts following thick.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Meat and potatoes? Ha. Get im started on HTP and the sauce starts following thick.
lmao, good one! I like it. :lol:

I remember my AL sauce bein pretty thick n juicy for the first month. A lil too watered down for my flavor... Plenty of pepper and salt with a side of some aged mayonnaise-yellowish stuff. Steel was more like a well done steak over the coals.

I also learned eating a good meal before you get into a welding project is a good thing! Hungry yet?
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1