Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jderimig
    Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:50 pm

Hello, First post here.
I picked up a spool gun for my HF Titanium 140A welder. I also have a Primeweld 225 Tig AC/DC. Is there any reason to keep the spool gun for the 140A welder? I was thinking of returning it and saving the money for better things.
jderimig
    Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:50 pm

No help? Let me expound.

I am thinking that a spool gun on only a 110V 140A Mig machine would be too limiting for Aluminum welding. Not enough power for 1/8 or above and not optimum for much thinner material. I would end up using TIG for anything aluminum and hardly would want to use the Spool gun. Am I close to being right?
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

jderimig wrote:No help? Let me expound.

I am thinking that a spool gun on only a 110V 140A Mig machine would be too limiting for Aluminum welding. Not enough power for 1/8 or above and not optimum for much thinner material. I would end up using TIG for anything aluminum and hardly would want to use the Spool gun. Am I close to being right?
I agree, ditch the spool gun, as far as welding Al with it, wont work out. Too weak for heavy stuff, not suited for light stuff.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
Government welder
    Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 pm

At work a gentleman tried to spool gun a cart 3/16 aluminum and it was no where close to hot enough it was a miller 141. It barely has the power for 3/16 steel maxed out so only get 10% duty cycle