Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nick121
    Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:33 am

Hi everyone,
I have been casually looking into a tig welder.. We used to have a big syncrowave 351 that was in a package deal with other equipment but never got used much and took too much input power.
Looking into a smaller machine, AC/DC and leaning towards a inverter. Would like to be 200 plus amps
I am debating a square wave 200 or syncrowave 210 type machine. Have also considered a esab rebel 205 but not sure if thats a compromise since it's multiprocess?

I have looked at the invertig 221 online and it really seems like a great welder! but they are only sold from USA weld.com. And I am in Canada, not sure if they would ship here? And of course exchange rate and not sure what other import fees etc?
And then if I had issues with it for whatever reason I'd have to ship back could be a hassle.

Just wondering if any Canadians have purchased a htp.
And for how it stacks up against the other machines in that amp class.
Thanks,
Nick
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

nick121 wrote:Hi everyone,
I have been casually looking into a tig welder.. We used to have a big syncrowave 351 that was in a package deal with other equipment but never got used much and took too much input power.
Looking into a smaller machine, AC/DC and leaning towards a inverter. Would like to be 200 plus amps
I am debating a square wave 200 or syncrowave 210 type machine. Have also considered a esab rebel 205 but not sure if thats a compromise since it's multiprocess?

I have looked at the invertig 221 online and it really seems like a great welder! but they are only sold from USA weld.com. And I am in Canada, not sure if they would ship here? And of course exchange rate and not sure what other import fees etc?
And then if I had issues with it for whatever reason I'd have to ship back could be a hassle.

Just wondering if any Canadians have purchased a htp.
And for how it stacks up against the other machines in that amp class.
Thanks,
Nick
Contrary to popular belief, not all mail-order welders require shipping back to the seller. When I asked HTP about this, they said that if they end up needing to go inside the welder to diagnose an issue, they could walk me through it if I was comfortable enough. Thankfully I've never had to, but it's nice to know they will work with the customer if they feel they are savvy enough to do so. Of course you're at the mercy of exchange rates, but they can ship pretty much anywhere in the world. You'd have to check with your Canadian customs office to find out what kind of fees you'd have to pay, or maybe someone at the HTP office will surlely know from prior experience. Where abouts in Canada are you? I can ask my HTP salesman if they know any of these details. And of course the machine kicks a(#. I bought mine during Black Friday 2013 and it still spits out the electrons! :D
nick121

I'm in southern Ontario. I haven't contacted HTP yet, still in the very early searching for a tig welder process at this point. And saving up for a bit yet. I'd love the htp, has a lot to offer
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm in the same boat as you, from central manitoba. Exchange rate was a deal killer for me. I did go with the square wave tig 200 and would really recommend against it. I feel Lincoln cut ways too many corners on it, would definently not buy again.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
nick121

JayWal wrote:I'm in the same boat as you, from central manitoba. Exchange rate was a deal killer for me. I did go with the square wave tig 200 and would really recommend against it. I feel Lincoln cut ways too many corners on it, would definently not buy again.

Thanks For the heads up! The square wave 200 was pretty high up on my list.. But I have been reading more negative reviews than I'd like. Thinking it'll have to be either a used miller dynasty or precision tig 225 etc. If the exchange rate was closer to par the Invertig would be a sweet setup but yeah it jacks up the price too much right now.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Lincoln does make an Aspect tig welder now which seems a lot better than the tig 200. Not sure what the price point is on that

nick121

The aspect looks good! I remember hearing about it a while ago but completely forgot. Got to save up for a while yet