Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gunhappy
    Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:36 am

For those that missed my intro, I’m in Thailand. There’s basically one brand of welder here, Welpro and it’s subsidiaries. Anyone ever hear of it?

Anyway, I’m wanting to make the leap from stick to TIG. AC/DC in fact.

First, understand they have no clue what a foot pedal is here.

There are 2 options in the offing, 200amp and 250amp. In both I have 2 choices of machine, programmable with a 20 program memory and one with about a dozen dials on it. Initially the programmable got my attention, but, being a retiree money is always a concern. The one with the dials is a $500USD savings if I go with the dials. Money that can be put to use buying supplies, etc

So, my questions are:

1. Is the savings worth the learning curve?
2. How do I find out if a pedal ordered from the states will work with my Chinese (yeah I know, everything is made in China) welder?

I want to make this purchase soon, but really need help on this. It’s not as simple as picking the stick and setting the amps and start melting metal.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
D488D58E-4252-4718-8AFB-9EB48CF218E2.png
D488D58E-4252-4718-8AFB-9EB48CF218E2.png (312.23 KiB) Viewed 789 times
F779364F-8829-4E8A-AB0C-523B72AF5978.png
F779364F-8829-4E8A-AB0C-523B72AF5978.png (629.68 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You will need to know the details of the plug that you hook up to, (molex or some other standard plug design or number) IE how many pins? What pins do what? Typically the amperage control circuit will be designed to work with a specific ohm ranged resister. Like 2000 to 10000 ohms or 0 to 5000 ohms. After that a quick phone call to CK worldwide will usually get you a guaranteed working pedal or thumb control.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

The photo is a bit dark (the front panel) but it seems there isn't a connection for a pedal, if that is even the machine you're considering.
Perhaps a reading of the manual will tell you what accessories are available.
Richard
Website
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I would go for the dials. My everlast has dials and it's kind of nice to be able to quickly "dial" it in.
The other advantage is if a pot breaks you can replace a simple part, if an integrated board dies you might be looking at a new machine

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

the dial one is an older analogue model hence its cheaper as its somewhat out of date.
however need to keep in mind you will need accessories so it pays not to blow all your cash on just the welder.
make sure you can get tungsten's, cups etc.
tweak it until it breaks