Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 pm

I've been tig welding for some time but never had to purchase consumables as they were provided by work. Now that I'm purchasing a tig machine for home I have some questions. I'll be looking to put a gas saver lens on but have never used one. I see them advertised as 2,3,4 series etc... It may seem stupid but I have no idea what this means, can someone explain it for me. Thanks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

tooln98 wrote:I've been tig welding for some time but never had to purchase consumables as they were provided by work. Now that I'm purchasing a tig machine for home I have some questions. I'll be looking to put a gas saver lens on but have never used one. I see them advertised as 2,3,4 series etc... It may seem stupid but I have no idea what this means, can someone explain it for me. Thanks
CK Worldwide uses the single-digit number system. However, they still cross-reference to the more traditional system with number-letter-number system. Weldingcity.com has good diagrams. Pretty sure CK also has the breakdowns if you download their master catalog.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Here's the down-and-dirty break down, at least as it applies to CK products:

2 Series: Used on the 9/20 size torches that use smaller hardware
3 Series: Used on the 17/18/26 size torches that use the larger hardware
4 Series: This is the "stubby" version of the 3 Series and is also used on the 17/18/26 size torches.

Hidden bonus between the 2 series and 4 series is that they use the exact same cups, so less stuff to buy if running gas lenses on multiple size torches. Surprised CK would let us get away with such a thing!
    Fri May 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks guys