Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Any update on fixing that thing?
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

VA-Sawyer wrote:Any update on fixing that thing?
They ended up shipping me out an entire new unit on Monday which should arrive by early next week according to the tracking. Sent mine back to them same day.

Customer service was excellent.

I'll update again when I get the new unit in and if any other issues creep up. But they handled it quite well, so I'm happy.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Be sure to test the *#&@ out of it right away. Full pedal non-stop until it hits the duty cycle. Let's see if it will take it. :)
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:Be sure to test the *#&@ out of it right away. Full pedal non-stop until it hits the duty cycle. Let's see if it will take it. :)
That's 3.5 minutes on that welder at 350 amps.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

can I come watch ?? kin I huh , kin I ??

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Oscar wrote:Be sure to test the *#&@ out of it right away. Full pedal non-stop until it hits the duty cycle. Let's see if it will take it. :)
That's 3.5 minutes on that welder at 350 amps.
It's only about 11cents worth of electricty. Pretty sure he can swing that. :lol:
Spartan

That's what I'm going to do. And I'll probably do it 10 times. Maybe not until it hits the duty cycle, but at least 60 seconds at a time or so.
Spartan

BillE.Dee wrote:can I come watch ?? kin I huh , kin I ??
You absolutely can. My shop is in White Plains, MD (southern MD).
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:It's only about 11cents worth of electricty. Pretty sure he can swing that. :lol:
That was uncalled for, IMO, I thought we were talking about duty cycle at max amps?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Oscar wrote:It's only about 11cents worth of electricty. Pretty sure he can swing that. :lol:
That was uncalled for, IMO, I thought we were talking about duty cycle at max amps?
Even though I question the duty cycle as well, that's a separate discussion altogether. I was more referring to him testing it out until it 'thermal's out' , and thus making it past the 'infant mortality' stage so he doesn't have another 'surprise'' like last time.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Even though I question the duty cycle as well, that's a separate discussion altogether. I was more referring to him testing it out until it 'thermal's out' , and thus making it past the 'infant mortality' stage so he doesn't have another 'surprise'' like last time.
I guess I'm missing something. How does that have to do with Spartan being able to swing 11 cents?

I agree, let it run for as long as it can, but just not making the tie together on the 11 cent comment.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
VA-Sawyer

It seems that they give pretty good support, till somewhere between 3 and 6 months on a new unit. After that, you seem to be on your own.
So much for the 5 year warranty.
TraditionalToolworks

VA-Sawyer wrote:So much for the 5 year warranty.
Which is kind of funny in itself. Mark (lugnuthead) always claims how they have the longest warranty in the industry. :lol:

I have known for a while that Oleg had a large stake in AHP, turns out it's his wife that owns the bulk of it... :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

VA-Sawyer wrote:It seems that they give pretty good support, till somewhere between 3 and 6 months on a new unit. After that, you seem to be on your own.
So much for the 5 year warranty.
I wonder what they would say if this had happened 2 years down the road, that's for sure. I wonder if they would have given him the same non-sense that they gave you...
VA-Sawyer

Let's hope he doesn't have to find out.
Spartan

Got the replacement in yesterday, and hooked it up today. Ran it at max for maybe an hour or so, on and off, first on some scrap and then on some customer parts. No, I didn't hit the duty cycle intentionally or otherwise. Running like a champ so far. We shall see.
VA-Sawyer

Glad to hear that you are back up and running.