Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I don’t disagree 70 or 80 S2 will work just fine I don’t disagree 70 or 80 S2 will work just fine. based off of my personal experience in the pipe industry my procedures always called for matching filler in that application. I understand it’s no different than using something like 309 on a carbon steel.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Just for kicks, I looked in an old copy of AC 43.13 Acceptable Methods of Aircrafr Alterations and Repair. The chapter on welding calls for ER 4130 when doing tubing repairs. That suprised me.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

VA-Sawyer wrote:Just for kicks, I looked in an old copy of AC 43.13 Acceptable Methods of Aircrafr Alterations and Repair. The chapter on welding calls for ER 4130 when doing tubing repairs. That suprised me.
Using which welding process? And does it specify a necessary PWHT?
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Welding process wasn't specified. I didn't see a post weld HT.
I used to deal pretty often with Harrison in Indiana. They repaired a lot of aircraft cylinders by welding. They had a number of 'In House' FAA approved procedures. They also had a number of 'Gentlemen Agreements ' with the FAA about what could be repaired, and what couldn't. I learned a lot, every time I visited the place.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
dmeray1@hotmail.com
    Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:17 pm

Thanks everyone. In the process of fixing the crack by the bearing hanger I found a crack just aft of the motor mount. I did stop drill holes and ground a V following the cracks. The two cracks were within an 8 inch section of frame. With a 40 horsepower engine with chain drive and a six speed transmission I decided to insert a "stuffer" tube to beef up the area. I used a 1 inch diameter .120 wall DOM tube and secured it with a couple of rosette welds. Hopefully it won't crack somewhere else.