Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Cooperstown
    Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:30 am

Just reaching out to see if the vast knowledge on this forum could look at my welds and tell me if I am moving towards progress. Yesterday was my 2nd day using a tig torch, the first day was rough but I felt I started to get the hang of it this time. I want to learn so I can do various body panels on my trucks and exaust, plus other stuff I might need. Just looking at suggestions on if you all can point out anything from the way the welds look. And criticism or advise would be well recieved. I know there is alot of excellent welders on here and just looking for some knowledge.

* the first two runs were without filler wire in the picture( I spent a couple hours just practicing without filler rod until I could get the motion some what stable and consistent) , the others I used filler. The following are the settings I used.
Amico CTS 160 ( plasma, stick and tig) WP9F torch
2% lanthanated Tungsten 1/16
Er70s-2 filler Rod
1/16
Also used 1/16 Silicon Bronze which is what I will be doing the body panels with.
30 Amps all the way to 55.
Size 6 and 8 cup
7-15 cfm

I also have 3/32 tungsten but I have not tried that. Everything I have read says the bigger the tungsten the easier it is. But I figured since I am mainly learning for body panels I should start getting use to the 1/16. I am not even going to attempt to start working on body panels u till I have got this down and I am confident on many different aspects of tig welding. I am guessing it will take about a year until that is the case. I have plenty of time to practice. If you all recommend different materials of filler rods I can get those and practice. Just looking for some input on if I am heading in the right direction . Thank you. Any practice methods would be well recieved also. I have not tried lap welds or but welds or anything else. I feel I am not ready for that I have just been trying to get the rhythm and some decent beads down until i work on the other stuff.
I also have a gas lense kit but i have not tried it yet and saw that i shouldn't until i have the other stuff down first.
Attachments
2nd day Tig Welding
2nd day Tig Welding
20200830_203102.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 721 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

They look just fine.

Rule of thumb is up to 2x the cup size for CFH on your gas.

Good practice is to scribe parallel lines in your piece, then add filler to make a puddle equal to the width of the scribed lines. This aids in controlling your travel speed and dipping amount.

For thin material butt welds, leave a small gap 0.020-0.030 is good. That allows a fully penetrated weld with small filler or SilBr.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Looking good. You should always mention the base material thickness. Also instead of "30 Amps all the way to 55." it would be better if you described each one as a discrete event (IE: sample1 was at these settings, sample 2 was at these settings). This will facilitate the "guessing game" as we try to figure out which was which. Gasflow rate is traditionally not in CFM. It either CFH in Imperial, or LPM in metric. 7-15 CFM is what a 3-5HP 60-80 gallon air compressor would put out. :D
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

I agree with Oscar and cj, not bad at all...at least they're not all burnt and crispy looking like some posted here. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Cooperstown
    Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:30 am

You guys are awesome, I really appreciate it. Your advice is well received and will post with the mentioned parameters next time so you all don't have to guess. I will just post them on this same link so I don't make new ones and flood the forum. Thanks again everyone.