Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
R-mm
  • R-mm
    Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:58 pm

The 26 torch on my Everlast welder came with a finger switch that I have removed. It also came with a denim protection sleeve. I am wondering if the only function of that sleeve was to organize and protect the wiring of the finger switch or if it’s standard practice to protect the red super flex hose?
IMG_7464.jpg
IMG_7464.jpg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have the sleeve on all of my torches. the sleeve is a bunch cheaper than the power cable. the darn sand gets into everything.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

The sleeve is a protective cover as much as it keeps things more organized. It's very easy to knock something off your bench and have it fall on your torch lines....often sharp stuff. The cover makes it more likely the torch lines will survive. You can pull the cover back a couple of feet so that the lines are more flexible, but still protect everything that's normally at ground level.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yes protect it. I almost ruined mine just from sparks and spatter and what not.
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Oscar wrote:Yes protect it. I almost ruined mine just from sparks and spatter and what not.
Sparks and splatter tig welding? Interesting.
G-ManBart

robtg wrote:
Oscar wrote:Yes protect it. I almost ruined mine just from sparks and spatter and what not.
With Oscar showing 7 machines in his signature it's a pretty safe bet he was using something other than TIG when the sparks and spatter were created and the TIG machine was just nearby.
Miller Millermatic 350P
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

G-ManBart wrote:
robtg wrote:
With Oscar showing 7 machines in his signature it's a pretty safe bet he was using something other than TIG when the sparks and spatter were created and the TIG machine was just nearby.
Very safe bet. 8-)
robtg

Very safe bet. 8-)[/quote]

I suppose that if you left your tig hoses laying around on the floor while mig or stick welding that would be a problem.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Ehhh even while tog welding a unprotected hose can pose a issue.

I've got multiple burn marks in my cover from where it was on a hot part while welding.

Not going to happen all the time but it still can so figured I'd throw that out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I like the sleeve and use it. I wish it was made from a less melty product but my hoses are the better for it I am positive. My hoses get draped and pulled over sharp corners, hot welds, dog dishes, you name it...what ever it takes to get from the 1st repair to the last.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
G-ManBart

robtg wrote: I suppose that if you left your tig hoses laying around on the floor while mig or stick welding that would be a problem.
Why would they have to be on the floor? Why couldn't sparks hit a TIG hose looped around the hook on a machine that happens to be near where you're working? My shop is pretty big for a hobby shop (2,560sq ft) but I often have a machine on either side of my larger welding table and it wouldn't take much for sparks to reach the other machine.
Miller Millermatic 350P
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I like the covers but I was shocked at how much the Miller One cost. I got one with my Dynasty and I was going to get one for the second torch but I have never used the other torch and the cover was north of $100.

If I needed a replacement that hundred dollars would be gone in a minute.
robtg

G-ManBart wrote:
robtg wrote: I suppose that if you left your tig hoses laying around on the floor while mig or stick welding that would be a problem.
Why would they have to be on the floor? Why couldn't sparks hit a TIG hose looped around the hook on a machine that happens to be near where you're working? My shop is pretty big for a hobby shop (2,560sq ft) but I often have a machine on either side of my larger welding table and it wouldn't take much for sparks to reach the other machine.

I have a very compact space with machines and motorcycles close by and am careful where where sparks end up.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

unless you keep your tig equipment in a separate room when not in use, USE THE COVER. After welding something you grab the grinder to dress up the work, BAM ,,sparks flying and sure as GOD made green apples, one of those sparks goes .... Then here comes clutsy (and everybody has one) walks over the tig cable and he's got shavings on his shoes,,,BAM. It's worth the money.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

In my mind there’s no down side to using the covers.
I have more questions than answers

Josh