Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:24 pm

Am making some new suspension links for my Jeep after one of them failed due to poor mig welds on my part. Well... they looked good. From what I can tell, I didn't put enough heat into the bungs. So this time, I'm tig welding things.

The links are 1 3/4" x .125 dom with 2 opposing 7/16" holes per end and a bevel. The bungs are approximately 1/8" thick where they insert into the tube. They "thicken" with a 45* bevel to about 1/4" where they form flats to accommodate a wrench.

The tube:

The bung:

Weld after 2nd pass:

Welded with Everlast 255EXT @ 180 amps, Furick #8 cup @ 20 CFH, 2% lanthanated 3/32" tungsten & E70S2 rod. I put more heat into the bung than the tube. Call it good? Needs another pass?
I'm a tig newby, so any feedback is much appreciated.
robert-r

Millermatic 255
Dynasty 280 DX
Everlast 255EXT
ReadyWelder I
Hypertherm 30XP
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Call it good.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

cj737 wrote:Call it good.
+1 Looks good to me

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

I won't claim to be an expert, but I'd run another pass with a small weave to get rid of the bit of undercut. On most things I probably wouldn't think about it but I wouldn't want a possible stress riser like that on a steering component.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

one other thing is to heat the tube, cool the other part, and friction fit them. that way the welds don't carry so much of the load.
tweak it until it breaks

Everyone, thanks for the comments. Quite valuable to me.

G-ManBart: think I'll leave well enough alone and not do a weave pass. Am not too good at those yet and risk messing things up.
robert-r

Millermatic 255
Dynasty 280 DX
Everlast 255EXT
ReadyWelder I
Hypertherm 30XP
G-ManBart

robert-r wrote:Everyone, thanks for the comments. Quite valuable to me.

G-ManBart: think I'll leave well enough alone and not do a weave pass. Am not too good at those yet and risk messing things up.
Not to be mean, but that means you really shouldn't be welding on steering components. It's not really an area for inexperienced welders regardless of process.
Miller Millermatic 350P
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT

G-ManBart wrote:

Not to be mean, but that means you really shouldn't be welding on steering components. It's not really an area for inexperienced welders regardless of process.
It's not steering components. It's a suspension link on a rockcrawler. Am thinking the 2 rosette welds per end are good insurance. Rig rarely goes 35 mph tops.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate your thoughts.

How else am I supposed to get experience if I shouldn't be working on my junk? Can I practice on your stuff? :P
robert-r

Millermatic 255
Dynasty 280 DX
Everlast 255EXT
ReadyWelder I
Hypertherm 30XP
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

robert-r wrote:
G-ManBart wrote:

It's not steering components. It's a suspension link on a rockcrawler. Am thinking the 2 rosette welds per end are good insurance. Rig rarely goes 35 mph tops.

How else am I supposed to get experience if I shouldn't be working on my junk? Can I practice on your stuff? :P
Rosette welds are always good insurance, just aim to have a convex weld deposit. Use them on all suspension links, even when you fish mouth the tube.
G-ManBart

robert-r wrote: It's not steering components. It's a suspension link on a rockcrawler. Am thinking the 2 rosette welds per end are good insurance. Rig rarely goes 35 mph tops.

Sorry, I saw suspension link and was thinking steering link. That wouldn't change my opinion...I don't think anything suspension or steering related is an area to learn on.

The rosette welds are good insurance, but I wouldn't count on them holding things together if the threaded end fails at the welds...that whole end could come clean off.

I've got plenty of steel/aluminum and usually at least two machines set up at any given time. You're more than welcome to visit and practice....but not on anything I'll be driving or riding in ;)
Miller Millermatic 350P
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
    Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Loos like the perfect piece to be brazed.

Sorry I know this is the Tig forum :D