Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
waid302
    Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:10 pm

As I am still learning TIG, I am not taking any chances with my weld quality on my axle bracket.

Can I remove as much of the TIG weld with die grinder and go over with MIG?

Thanks
Attachments
2020-12-26.jpeg
2020-12-26.jpeg (69.56 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You can, but if you dig into the base metal, you may ruin the parts. Also depending on the type of steel, you may have caused hardening, making it more difficult to weld and possibly more prone to cracks. This is why you should never practice on your production parts. Me personally I would scrap it, cut it up into smaller segments and use those to practice the weld. Then get a new axle tube to actually go on the car once you have mastered the weld.
Multimatic 255
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Instead of grinding it out, run another bead over it, hotter, and insure you get full coverage. The base bead will become molten so you can help insure full coverage with an extra pass.

You could also grind just the root down some to avoid digging into the base. Then cover it with another TIG pass. You will discover as you go whether or not the root is unleaded because it will likely blow out on you as you weld it.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Tell them what the axle bracket is for.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
William Payne
    Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:15 am

Unrelated to your question but I want you to do something for me. Get a piece of clean scrap metal. Practice making welds without filler. Just learn how to make the puddle and get the flow going. Once you feel comfortable with that Start adding filler and practicing that. Eventually as you gain confidence practice butt welding in the flat position and go from there.

Don’t practice on good parts. You can learn this. If I can learn to tig weld anyone can.
Miller Syncrowave 350LX
Esab Power Compact 205
BOC 185DC Tig