Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Got a call from a friend. Seems he dropped his Lodge 12" cast iron fry pan. Broke the handle off and thinks he put a hairline crack up the side..... Not an uncommon issue with cast fry pans.

So, can I tig it? Will welding the handle back on be strong enough? Pan all by itself is quite heavy. Unlike bigger pans, there is no "helper handle" on the opposite side.

I'm sure, because of seasoning and use, there is oil in this crack / the pores of the cast. Grind the crack clean? Wipe down with what? What filler rod?

Thanks guys.

Edit to add.....amazing how many calls you get once it's known you have a welder!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

The pans are cheap and I would say no, don't bother. Yes, it'll be saturated with oil residue, and I'm not sure I'd want to expect it to hold up even if it were welded.

Some folks have the idea that "Old" cast is somehow better than new. Don't fall for it. Brand new Lodge stuff is every bit as nice if not nicer than the old stuff. I have loads of it (both old and new) and it's splitting hairs to decide which you want for a particular food item. Unless of course you're talking about the porcelain lined dutch ovens, where there is no other pan for making soup/stew in.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can easily weld it or braze it.

Preheat it (put it in the oven @ 450* for 20 minutes)
Weld it (ideally with a nickel-based TIG rod, but ER70 will work too)
Braze it (SilBr works fine)
Plop it back in the oven that is already hot, turn off the oven and let it cool without opening the door.

In lieu of an oven, a gas grill works fine too.

A good 12" cast iron pan is pricey. Welding it up is easy and perfectly viable. And for you, it is good practice.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Weld.com did a video of this a while back.

https://youtu.be/lpeNk0kF3Tg

Might be worth checking out.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
eelman308

Thanks for the link. That led me right into this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQN_yz-4Hhg

Gonna do a hybrid of you guys' responses.....I think I'll tell him to keep an eye out for another but to give me that one to work on. If it is a success, then he'll have 2. If not....nothing lost as it was no functional anyway.

Bill
    Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 am

cj737 wrote:You can easily weld it or braze it.

Plop it back in the oven that is already hot, turn off the oven and let it cool without opening the door.

A good 12" cast iron pan is pricey. Welding it up is easy and perfectly viable. And for you, it is good practice.
Did you mean Aluminum bronze?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

225256 wrote:
cj737 wrote:You can easily weld it or braze it.

Did you mean Aluminum bronze?
No. I typed exactly what I meant. Aluminum bronze is another choice of filler that will work too. I didn’t reference it in case the OP did not have an AC capable machine.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

If the OP has AC as an option, I would use Aluminum Bronze for the filler. It is a lot stronger, and the AC helps with the cleaning process.
I repaired the yoke on a Delta table saw using the Aluminum Bronze and AC method, as demonstrated by Jody, in one of his videos. It worked great, and considering that it was my first time using that method, I was happy as a clam.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Its so not worth the time. A new one is around $20. Don't even bother.
Multimatic 255
eelman308

$25 !! Sheesh. :o Like I said, might be nice to practice on. My biggest concern was having the handle re-break off when the skillet is full. It's my understanding we don't really weld it...it's more kinda like a glue. .....albeit a strong glue.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Aluminum Bronze has a tensile strength of about 30-35,000 psi. That is similar to mild steel. I would not worry about it being much of a weak spot on a cast iron handle. Fixing the crack in the side might be the bigger challenge. The filler does have some 'stretch', so might not crack as it cools.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I am no expert here. With that said you might investigate whether Al bronze is good where heating and cooling repeatedly are expected.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

To the OP, will you please update this thread when you finish the project. I have a cracked cast iron pan that I'd like to repair. Its a much nicer pan than the lodge, so replacement is not cheap.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
eelman308

If I get it to play with...yes.