Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
wquiles
    Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 am

My friend and mentor only uses HTP welding machines, and after he convinced me to get a local welding class, he also encouraged me to save my money and buy an HTP welder. I did, of course, and back in 2013 I bought a new HTP Mig 200 welder, which has been 100% flawless so far. So when I told him I wanted to learn and get a Tig setup, since he is no longer welding commercially/professionally, he offered to sell me his HTP Tig setup - the whole thing: HTP Invertig 200 with the water cooler, welder cart (modded to hold two tanks), 25ft ground, 25ft water cooled CK20-R torch, 25-ft CK torch mounted amp control (5-pin), 25-ft foot control (5-pin), inner touch cable cover and outer leather cable snap cover, and all of the rods and tungsten tips he found:

After changing the 220v plug to the one I use in my garage, I did a few simple beads, but decided to start doing some welding to practice for real, so I tried doing some small tacks. I ordered this kit to get me started:

I felt the torch was a little heavy for my taste, and I was not yet comfortable with the torch amp control, so I removed it for now and I am using the foot switch until I get more proficient:

These are guts of the water cooled head:

Torch became lighter and easier to maneuver, even did some tacks right handed (I am a lefty):

Did some small tacks:

and a straight weld (both side):

I remembered this 6-sided project "thing" which allowed for tacks and then lots of welding. Since I am getting started I had some small-walled steel - did these at 60Amps, 30CFPH:

Tack:

Lots of welding practice:

I then did it again with 1/8" wall, 125Amp, 30CFPH:

And finally with 1/4" steel, at the full 200Amps, 30CFPH:

Also practiced 1/8" wall side to side:

Group photo of my first welds:

I still need lots more practice, but I am starting to get the hang of things. My next project is a 2x72 grinder, so as I make progress I will post more pictures. I am definitely very happy with my two HTP welders:
Last edited by wquiles on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Your gas flow needs only to be 2x cup size. 30 CFH is way too high for what you need.
wquiles

cj737 wrote:Your gas flow needs only to be 2x cup size. 30 CFH is way too high for what you need.
Thank you. I suspected as much. Based on Jody's 3x tips for Tig (one being not enough Argon) I went "high" to get started. That is a #8 cup, so probably around 16-20 CFH would be more appropriate then?
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

welcome to the house. As cj stated, you are using too high of gas flow ... 2x the size of the cup will work for what you are doing. Steel is more forgiving should you error in torch angle, distance from work piece and adding filler. You want the torch almost straight up to the work piece and about the distance of the thickness of the tungsten from the work piece. Push the puddle. Continue practicing on the steel until you are comfortable. Clean, clean clean ... practice practice practice. Have fun.
gramps.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Looks like nice clean, well cared for stuff. Yer gonna luv it!
wquiles

BillE.Dee wrote:welcome to the house. As cj stated, you are using too high of gas flow ... 2x the size of the cup will work for what you are doing. Steel is more forgiving should you error in torch angle, distance from work piece and adding filler. You want the torch almost straight up to the work piece and about the distance of the thickness of the tungsten from the work piece. Push the puddle. Continue practicing on the steel until you are comfortable. Clean, clean clean ... practice practice practice. Have fun.
gramps.
Cool - thanks much for the additional advice - so much to learn :-)

BugHunter wrote:Looks like nice clean, well cared for stuff. Yer gonna luv it!
Thanks!
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Looking good! And congrats on scoring some nice kit. Those 6 sided pieces are a good idea! Way more realistic and useful than just welding on small, flat coupons.