Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Sconnie
    Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:12 pm

I've recently purchased a Lincoln Square Wave TIG200 to replace my old Eastwood unit. So far I love it, but I have something weird going on and I'm not sure if it my setup, something I'm doing, or the machine. When I get to the end of a weld and start backing the amperage off slowly, I get a bright flash right before the arc signs off. It doesn't happen al the time so I'm thinking I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas? Thanks. BTW, I've only welded DC with it so far.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Sounds like the sensitivity setting on your helmet is too low. It may be permitting that change of brightness from your arc diminishing to turn off the shade. You can also set the DELAY on some helmets to remain shaded longer.

Check those ideas out if your helmet has such adjustments.
Sconnie
    Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:12 pm

cj737 wrote:Sounds like the sensitivity setting on your helmet is too low. It may be permitting that change of brightness from your arc diminishing to turn off the shade. You can also set the DELAY on some helmets to remain shaded longer.

I never thought of that. I really haven't noticed if the surroundings brightened, too. I'll watch that next time and play with the sensitivity. This is a new to me helmet (Viking 3350) with tons of adjustment that I'm not entirely in-tune with yet. Thanks for the input.
walz10
    Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 pm

That’s some pretty good advice and not something I would have thought to tell someone to check. I have to say good job to CJ. I’m impressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

cj737 wrote:Sounds like the sensitivity setting on your helmet is too low. It may be permitting that change of brightness from your arc diminishing to turn off the shade. You can also set the DELAY on some helmets to remain shaded longer.

Yup or your helmet just can’t pick it up. Miller and some others pick up more than just light I think. Low amps on SS is a common situation where that happens as well. I use a Lincon hood and i adjust the delay off setting to keep it dark longer after the arc stops to avoid the flash.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

You should only see that issue on a Viking 3350 if the sensitivity is set too low as mentioned, or if the sensors have some muck smeared on top of them not allowing the light to properly get through. Since you mention it is a new helmet, it is likely the sensitivity knob setting. I keep my sensitivity at almost the highest setting (most sensitive) when welding indoors...really no reason not to unless your shop lighting interferes in some way, which mine doesn't. When welding outdoors, the sun can cause an issue, and create the need to turn the sensitivity way down.

If adjusting the sensitivity doesn't fix your problem, then something is wrong with the 3350 and you should return it since it is presumably still under warranty. Lincoln is very good with their warranty claims.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I have a 3350 hood and found that I had to monkey around with the settings to get it working properly. I do believe that the controls are infinitely adjustable and the numbers on the controls are only a reference number. I did find that the delay was very touchy. once I got things set, I've had no problems, but did change the battery as I picked up the hood used.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Well how about that. I was always told the delay setting was for how fast the helmet darkens when it senses an arc. Not how fast it lightens after the arc is done.

I'm going to have to read my Chinese hoods manual and see if they set it up that way.

Would definitely explain why sometimes I get to look at the rediculously bright end of an alum weld.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk