Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Kuki89
    Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello people, I would like you to get me out of the doubt. How many minutes is a duty cycle for a tig torch (and if the time is the same for a mig torch) I have seen in tutorials that test it for 1 minute, is that so?
motorcyclemike
    Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:53 pm

Kuki89 wrote:Hello people, I would like you to get me out of the doubt. How many minutes is a duty cycle for a tig torch (and if the time is the same for a mig torch) I have seen in tutorials that test it for 1 minute, is that so?
Per my Miller documentation, it’s based on 10 minutes. That means for a 40% duty cycle, the longest on time is 4 minutes, followed by a minimum of 6 minutes off before the next weld.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Don't overthink it too much. So long as you are using the high-quality brands, you can overdrive them quite a bit for short periods. Just plan to use them within spec "most" of the time, and you'll be fine ;)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Rating for continuous duty is a good indicator. That’s the point they say it will work reliably. This is not a failure point, but the point it will start to either degrade of simply be less reliable. I’ve used a 17 tig rig (rated at 150 amp) at well over 200 amps. How long they last or remain usable at that range becomes the question.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Kuki89
    Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Thanks friends, but how much is the duty cycle I mean if it is 10 minutes is it a 100% cycle the same as the machine or is it 1 minute?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The answer is in the fine print of the spec sheet for your machine. Most will be based on a 10 minute period but you have to read the fine print because some manufacturers use a shorter 1 or 5 minute period.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Kuki89 wrote:Thanks friends, but how much is the duty cycle I mean if it is 10 minutes is it a 100% cycle the same as the machine or is it 1 minute?
Try to provide some more information if you want helpful answers. Your question is extremely vague.

Helpful information would include:
What specific make/model of torch you are inquiring about?
What welding machine?
Which tutorials are referring to that mentioned a 1 minute interval?